Exhaust Temperatures

Ray Litten

I wish to make a dustbin muffler for my OS 91FX engine so that it fits within the cowl of my Piper arrow II. I have some 40mm diameter alloy tube which I thought would 'do the job' but welding alluminium seems to present some difficulties, that is, until I read about 'Durafix' rods. These melt at around 730 F. I'd be grateful if any one out there could advise me on what temperature the exhaust of my OS91FX is likely to reach as I don't want to buy this stuff, make the muffler and then find it out 'it falls to pieces' as soon as the engine has warmed up.
Thanks for any help. Ray Litten

Advert

Ray the Durafix works fine for exhausts...I've used in a couple of jobs with no problems....thr trick is getting the job hot enough without getting it too hot & melting the aluminium as the melting point of aluminium is pretty close to the melting point of the Durafix rod so I'd suggest a bit of practice first.....

The trick is to get the job hot enough to melt the rod rather than using the flame to do it...a bit like soldering....you heat the job up & melt the solder on the work piece rather than the soldering iron....

Remember to give everything a good wire brushing with the (supplied) stainless wire brush first.....

B&Q are a good source of aluminium tube & angles etc....get the non anodised stuff though.....Maplin are a good source of small aluminium boxes to make the muffler body from....

Hope this helps

To all who replied to my exhaust temperature enquiry.
It seems that this is still not a straight forward process after all as care is required when applying heat to the relevant part(s). It's certainly a good idea to practice on some small pieces of aluminium first, just to get a feel for what's required, before attempting the main job.
It's extremely handy having access to peoples experience on these matters, so again, thanks to all of you who gave me advice, it's now back to the workshop to start making the muffler.

I think most of the problems arise from us not being experienced welders.....lets face it, it takes years to become a skilled welder/brazer & how often do we do it? Once a year? Twice...?? If you look at the Durafix website theres a guy repairing a hole in an ally can...if I tried that the ally can would be a blob of molten metal!!!!

When I made my muffler the problem I had was with the disparity in the size of the parts being welded. I was welding some nice 10mm ally tube into an ally box but found that the ally tube has much less mass than the box & so heats up/melts quicker.... & the box acts as a huge heatsink & conducts all the heat away from where its needed!!!

Solution? concentrate the main part of the flame on the biggest part of the job & try & heat both parts up evenly & again this comes down to (that word again) experience & practice....

Remember that good judgement is the result of experience & experience is the result of bad judgement!!!

Consider also your blow torch....you need a nice small pencil flame but one that is pretty hot.....a MAPP gas torch is probably best if you have access to one......I actually did mine with one of those cooks blow torches.....the sort you burn the sugar on yer creme brulee with...worked OK but took some time to get the job hot enough....if you have too big a flame it tends to melt the rod before you get it to the joint!!!!!!

Practice a bit first & you'll be fine......

I don't know Durafix but I suspect it will be much the same as Techno-Weld.  I've just found some excellent instructional videos here although the first one stops half way through - go to the button at the bottom left and you'll be able to move on.

There are some more videos on the Durafix site but the Techno-Weld ones show the techniques a little better and with more explanation.  You'll see the use of a stainless steel rod for agitation of the molten material and surface tinning in these as well.

I've bought "aluminium repair rods" from B&Q in the past (can't remember if they were branded) and these seem identical in use to these other products and reasonably priced.

Edited By Martin Harris on 17/01/2010 00:16:26

Posted by Chris Channon on 16/01/2010 17:50:23:
Hi, you could of course use silver solder , clean the ally, coat the parts to be soldered in clean oil   !  then just heat up and solder as normal.

Been making exhaust systems like this for years, it works well. ( it was an article in RCM&E years ago )

Regards
Chris.

Hello Chris, this surely cannot be right.To melt silver-solder,the work piece has to be brought to red-heat,when soldering brass or mild steel,to allow the solder to fuse with the metal.Ally would be well melted before that temperature was reached...........Mal.

The oil keeps the air (oxygen) from the work surface so the aluminum does not oxidise and prevent the solder from sticking.  I've not used this method myself but at one time hot peanut oil was used to melt and 'flow' solder on printed circuit traces to 'tin them.  Peanut oil was used as it did had a very high 'smoke temperature'.

I was supprised by the silver solder bit too......needs too high a temperature I thought....didn't know about the lower temperature stuff!!!

No flux used with the Durafix stuff although you have to give the surfaces a good wire brushing with a stainless steel wire brush (a normal steel wire brush will not do apparently ferrous metals being a big no no with this stuff!!!). I suppose with these rods you are actually melting the surface of the ally & fusing it that way......

Hi all, sorry for the late reply,
Yep it is correct, abrade the ally with a good clean wire brush or a "dremel" type rotary stainless steel brush, as soon as you have finished cleaning, coat straight away with a good clean oil, 3-in-1 works well or even cheapy ASDA engine oil.
You can use a large soldering iron, i use a small modelling butane torch to heat up the work, then apply the solder just as you would when making a tank etc.
The silver solder i use ( note, normal lead / tin solder will work for things like a tank but will melt on a silencer job ( unless it is for a diesel then it is ok )  i get from Sussex models, it is a cored solder used by the car racing boys for making battery packs ).

Clean off the work when completed and if needed apply an etch primer and then paint with hammerite hi-temp ( exhaust ) paint .

Hope this helps a bit, if anyone needs any help, then please feel free to give me a shout.

Edited By Chris Channon on 20/01/2010 18:33:36