Tiger Shark EP400 EDF

Looking for a bit of advice from anyone successfully flying one of the above!!

My maiden flight (or second attempt at a maiden flight!!) ended with a snapped fuselage and the battery catapulting out through the nose. Not too impressive after about 40 foot of 'flight'!!!

I set the CoG at 115mm, which was the least twitchy end of the scale recommended by the manual, but it appeared too nose heavy to fly despite having good speed from the hand launch.

All back together now (thanks Derek) and, whilst my thought was for the next attempt with the CoG set a bit further back (say 120mm / 122mm), I thought I would see if someone here could give me a setting that works!! As it is so fragile, I am not to kean on keeping up the trial and error approach for too long!!!

Many thanks in anticipation.

Adrian

Advert

I had a similar problem with the Kyosho [under the]-Illusion -[that it was a good model].....C of G seems to be very sensitive on DF's, I would just move it back and go for it.

The [under the]-Illusion-[that it was a good model]was so sensitive, that forward setting had it lumbering around the sky, incapabable of even looping without going into a wing over and flat spin.....then landing like a comet.....to being flyable at aft C of G.....but....according to people who actually like the plane....unflyable just too far back.

Thanks for replies.

I contacted a guy who posted a short review of the model on RCUniverse http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_guide/kitratings.cfm?kit_id=4909

He replied today, saying that he flies his with the CoG at exactly 110mm from the leading edge of the wing where it meets the fuz!!! Even further forward than the manual states as a max!!! My battery is only 16g heavier than his, so that is not a factor.....

Also had a response from J Perkins about how they set their model up (as flown in their promo video) and a helpful guy responded very quickly and said they set theirs at 115mm.

Now I am mistified!!

I think I will try pushing the CoG back to 120mm and launch it over a corn field!! It didn't tip stall or anything even on full 'up' trying to keep it in the air, so it has got to be CoG to blame.....

Adrian

• 1 month later...

I love the way the Tiger Shark Flies. Mine is now very battered, BUT!

I believe it needs Carbon Fibre Spars (now fitted - wings, tail and fin! Adds not much weight, but loads of strength. Mine gets away from hand launch well, but when I get a new one - which I will do - I will make the carbon spar mods and am now agonizoing on a conversion to put the horns on the top surfaces instead of messing about with those skids which are problematical over grass.

One additional tip. transparent B&Q fibre glass tape over the belly increases the strength enormously. Also used to good effect on my Multiplex Twister - we have some pretty rough surfaces tofly from and something is necessary. It's also good cut into thin strips sealing gaps in the structure as in the wing joins and makes the thing look a bit less of a toy without too much weight penalty.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tips.

The model flies quite well now, but is very sensetive to both CoG and the battery weight.  CoG anywhere between 110 and 120mm back from leading edge is fine.

I changed the battery from a 2100mah 3s (JP ENRG) to a 1200mah 3s (JP ENRG Pro) and it transformed the performance - although the battery is only 60g odd lighter.

Now hand launches with ease and gives good climb out performance, reasonable top speed and superb slow speed and glide capability.  I posted a short video of it on RCUVideos Here Tiger Shark .

I think you are right though Liam, to be truely exciting it would need a 4s setup.  But the extra weight would ruin the qualities I mentioned above.  Oh well, might well just have to do it and bungee launch instead!!

Couple of other suggested mods!

Change the plastic moulded nose for blue or pink foam, smooth to shape and finish. I used a 1700 lipo to start but now use 2100s 3S. Flew it in a show and iit was commented on for its hot performance! C of G was exactly as suggested. Always got away easily from hand launch, except once when throwers fingers caught in the control linkage. I also recarved nose to look like F100 SuperSabre. Use REALLY bright colours! On a dull day when facing towards or away from you it gets very small very quickly and can make orientation difficult. Flourescent reds and blues in a fantasy aerobatic team colour scheme helps, but it is very small and very fast.

love flying it, but think a bit of lateral thinking would be beneficial to get the moving bitsinside fuselage. I fly over grass usually so resisted the retracts. Maybe if they did a bigger version I might be tempted. I do the grunt from that little motor is brilliant. If performance is marginal, then maybe try end point adjustment on speed controller. That made a difference on my twister - don't know why that is the case - but if it works...... It took moving it to 135% before I got similar revs to my buddy on similar, speed controllers and batteries (but not identical)

• 2 weeks later...