"Paypal as a gift"

Chris Card

There seems to be a steady rise in the number of folks advertising in the small ads (here and elsewhere) asking for "paypal as a gift".  I hope everyone who responds to these ads realises that by ticking the gift box you are waving bye bye to all your buyer protection and if the item fails to arrive you will have no recourse whatsoever to get a refund from Paypal.

I see "paypal as a gift" as akin to sending cash in the post and would refuse to pay someone by that method unless I knew them and trusted them.  I'm surprised BMFA Classifieds with all their strict rules allow people to specify "paypal as a gift" for payment method, it must be the first choice of scammers who don't intend to send the item advertised.

Advert

Peevie,you are quite correct in what you say,I personally would prefer to pay that slight premium for insured delivery.I have had occasion to use the PayPal refund,and although it is a little long-winded,I did receive a refund.Surely stating money as a gift when it is in fact payment for goods could be classed as criminal fraud ?.....................Mal.

Peevie is correct and I was considering warning users of BMFA Classifieds and here as well.

I recently bought something that didn't work as stated and was going to make a claim until I realised that it wasn't going to happen.

For the few extra pounds that it takes to pay for the transaction, you may as well agree to split the difference, barter the price down to cover the fee or just pay it yourself.