Voltage Regulator and Lipo's

Geoff Daunt

Hi all.
I am building a Greenly Glider Tug,powered bu a DA50R petrol engine.
The ignition system requires 5.2 to 6 V max.
I propose using a 7.4 Lipo with a ALIGN RCE-B6X BEC regulator to drop the V down to 5.8V
I now know that a ESC will continue to draw current from a Lipo even if switched off.   Guess how l know that.!!!!  ...so now l always disconnect my lipo after flying( a glider) Why it does that l have no idea so maybe one of you elec. wizards can tell me.
My main qusstion is will the V regulator do the same if left connected in circuit,even if switched off.?
I ask the qustion before l consider installation so l can consider positions of switches/access to lipo etc.
After all with Nicad or NiMH l do not consider disconnecting the reciever after flying l just swith off !!

Advert

Think of it like a wall wart style transformer, the type that charge up your mobile phone, or low voltage lamps etc. Even when the phone is not connected, the mains are still feeding the primary coil of the transformer, and current is flowing.
Incidentally " just switching off " is exactly the same as disconnecting ther battery!

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 30/01/2010 12:33:19

If you put the switch in between the battery and regulator the battery will be isolated.

If you put it between the regulator and ignition unit the battery will continue to power the regulator, only a few mA but if you left it connected for a period of time it would eventually completely flatten the battery.

I would also disconnect the battery after a days flying from a safety standpoint, if there was a subsequent short then the Lipo (or any other high power battery) could cause a fire.