What monoplane is this?

Torben K

Hey!

I am looking for a simple good looking and authentic scale project for a small I/C engine or brushless motor, and found this picture in an old 1998 issue of RC Scale Aircraft.

I need some help finding out what plane this is. The rudder outline confuses me. British? French?

Thanks!

Torben K.

Advert

Yes, sure you may be right here, but the picture you sent, looks more like the Nieuport 2 as regarding the undercarrige. It only used a 28HP boxer engine. I was so close building this Nieuport some years ago, but good drawings missed..

The "F-5" plane is powered by a rotary, I think, but the picture is not showing us that much.

Hi everyone,

Thanks alot for the answers - the Ponnier is indeed a very cute little plane!

When looking at a side view of the plane, I realised that the nose is very short here, but this is often seen with early monoplanes with relatively heavy engines, I think . And understandable if a 160hp Gnome was fitted in the Ponnier as some articles mention!

I think the C&G must be kept in mind all the time, especially when doing an electric version, and a great compromise when choosing LiPO mAh vs. physical size, if the pack must be placed very close to the motor firewall. This is the charm of building true scale.

Torben