My Dilemma :S

I have 4 models on the build at the moment but with the steep prices on 2.4ghz receivers (£40!) i have been thinking about 35mhz and whether it is worth risking it :s I already have lots of 35mhz equipment but i am worried about the reliability and me not forgetting to put the aerial up!!!

what does everyone else think?

Peter

Advert

Peter,

Whilst 2.4 clearly has benefits we all seem to forget that 35 Meg has been used, on the whole, without too many difficulties for many years. Unless you intend to fly high powered electric stuff I for one will not be racing to make the change. Like most, I've operated 35 meg for many years, within a club environment, with no problems. I would not want to fly 35 meg outside this controlled environment, but then anyone flying at a site near me will probably now be flying on 2.4 so the chance of a "shoot down" should be remote (?).

Forgetting to put the aerial up is something that I've witnessed several times. Then again, isn't that what pre-flight checks are for?

Peter,
I use 2.4GHz & 35Mhz for both Electric & ic & the only problems I've had
apart from stupidity like low batteries has been with cheap single
conversion receivers,which can induce noticeable glitches - usually
in the same part of the flying field.
I don't fly EDF though which probably does need 2.4GHz as Gavin says.
Nowt wrong with 35MHz for most applications.
I've always found Hitec dual conversion 35MHz Rx's reliable - they were
going for a song last time I looked (£22 - £25).

Richard

I've got 2 'high class' futaba receiver which should be good quality, I'll do some range tests at the flying field next time I go, whenever i go to use 35mhz my dad says, why not use 2.4ghz, then i point out i have no spare receivers! and my helicopter interferes like mad on 35 so i can't nick the Rx out of that!

Not been proven but it was believed by a club member that someone may have been at our flying field with some kind of 35mhz jammer, which coincided with someone losing their model so i am a bit sceptical about using it

Off topic: just passed my theory test, I'd stay off the roads if I were you, I'll be let loose soon!

Gonna go put my 35mhz on charge actually!

Edited By Peter 'Servo Scrounger' Savage on 25/02/2010 13:51:44

My last model on 35mhz nose dived vertically into the ground, although it could have been due to unplugged battery, broken servo tray, interference or the tail coming off mid air, this was a very puzzling crash! the battery leads weren't exactly a loose fit but when i went over to it the battery was unplugged

I still remember, that receiver, my granddad bought me it for my 12th birthday!

Peter, do you not tape your battery leads at the connection !?

I have just got a 2.4 GHz set  as I am moving into gliders.  As Gavin alluded to earlier, at the club sites you should not be shot down as it is controlled(?).  With the glider, where I am not in a controlled environment, I considered I could be shot down due to the weekend flier if on 35 and therefore the move.

I've just gone over to 2.4 - but only becuase I needed a new transmitter and given I was going to change then goin 2.4 seemed the sensible thing to do. It wasn't because I was unhappy with 35MHz.

In my experience a lot of pilots immediately cry "interference" as soon as a model goes in and there is no immediately obvious other explanation. But I believe that genuine interference is a very very rare event. Personally I'm convinced that 99% of accidents for which 35MHz intereference is blamed are actually caused by; pilot error, mechanical failure, assembly error etc. etc.

BEB

Posted by Peter 'Servo Scrounger' Savage on 25/02/2010 22:19:30:
My last model on 35mhz nose dived vertically into the ground, although it could have been due to unplugged battery, broken servo tray, interference or the tail coming off mid air, this was a very puzzling crash! the battery leads weren't exactly a loose fit but when i went over to it the battery was unplugged

I still remember, that receiver, my granddad bought me it for my 12th birthday!

I think you might have noticed "tail coming off mid air"???  The clue would be model going in one direction, tail in another  

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all, does any one remember a scare about 20 years ago concerning channels 60  and 62. on 35mhz.Apparently these channels give rise to a harmonic problem  for higher channel numbers, and interferance Some fliers refused to use the numbers for whatever reason.
                            I think it was similar to whether mobile phones should be used on the flight line at the present moment.  Thanks flyboy3