Charging

I charge my lipo batteries with the following set up:

A) “ JP Ultra Power”, switching power supply
B) A “JP Li-Po 2000 Professional”
C) “Overlander Poly Pro Lithium Polymer Battery Balancer Guard”

I am charging a selection of 3S Lipos. According to the instructions either the Li_po 2000 should announce the completion of charging by a warning or the Balancer go to a solid red light.

In some instances this does not happen with either piece of equipment. The Li-po guard may start flashing intermittently. However after 3 hrs. I will switch of.

Does anyone know if there is a problem, or may be, just assume I have a fully charged battery, if the guard starts to flash. Rather than wait for the charger to say it is completed its task.

Regards

Erfolg

Advert

I have measured the two batteries I have had on charge, results as follows:

a) 800mA, 12.53v
b) 1500ma, 12.55v

both figures fall within the range quoted. So it appears they are charged.

I guess the issues are,

1) When to diconnect if the charger does not signal completion
2) Is the balancer doings its job.

I must thank you all for your help and advice. Often think that the exchange of information and ideas is what these sites are about for us users.

Best regards

Erfolg

I cannot find the info on the charger you mention - are you SURE you have spelt /described it correctly?
All the LiPo dedicated chargers I know of, have a monitoring capability and will normally stop the charging when the pack reaches its optimal voltage ( 2s = 8.4V and 3s = 12.6V )
If your charger is terminating almost immediately, then perhaps it is not correctly determining the cell count, or are you manually setting that? liPos sdhould not be charged at more than 1C which should take around an hour+ assuming the pack is empty to begin with ( approx 3V per cell )
The only way to be sure the balancer is doing its jonb ( if it is not clear )is to measure each cell individually via the balancer plug using a DVM. This is something I do regularly, even though MY balancer is easy to read.

Who the heck are BMC ?
Ive heard of BRC...but not BMC.
Is THIS the charger
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9998/jp2000qe1.jpg

...cos if it is I have one as a spare in the car ! Thats the trouble with having so many chargers - I forget which ones I have !!
Anyways...if this is the one, It works fine for me whenever I have used it, only down side is no meter readout, and current settings are a little inflexible. Always beeps as it should at the end, and whenever I check the packs the voltages are always spot on. One thing I have noticed is that it often gets the auto cell detection wrong - showing a 3s as a 2s. I just override it. Could this be your problem ?

A little of what has happened has got lost or confused in the telling.

The preceding picture shows the Lipo charger.

I have charged both packs, the Lipo charger did not beep to indicate termination. It always has in the past. The balancer has somtimes gone to a solid red Diode (indicating completion)in the past, without the charger indicating completed charge. In this set of instances neither has indicted completion, although the balancer has indicated it is almost there (flashing red diode). Where a solid red indicates completion

I then tried using it without the balancer. It was at this point that it almost immediatly registed a charged battery (12.53 & 12.55). The measured values are after the charger indicating completion.

The problem seems to be connected to the Lipo balancer in the circuit.

Sorry about the confusion.

Regards

Erfolg