LiPo batteries - when are they beyond salvation?

TonyS

Hi All,
I've been trying (with varying degrees of success to get my FPV project finished and thought I'd finally cracked it when another little stumbling block dropped into my path.
The Futaba Tx I bought had a LiPo power pack 11.1V 2000mAh
It has a servo type power connector.
I switched on the Tx and it started bleeping away and flashing a low voltage warning suggesting that the power was too low.
I whipped out the battery and plugged it into my Fusion Elysium charger and that started bleeping balance voltage too low.
I've looked at the battery and the three cells are 2.9V, 2.7V and 3.4V respectively....Not exactly balanced are they!!! 
Can I save this battery?

Advert

Timbo / Dusty,
I agree. My problem isn't the cash...I just want to finish this thing!
It seems every time I think I'm done I need to send off for yet another component and hence another few days wait and then perhaps a week until I can find the time again.
I just went to put the prop on the brushless motor I fitted and guess what - I've about a dozen prop adapters and not one to fit the shaft of this motor.....
If there is a god he doesn't want this plane in the air....... 

PS I'd post some pics of the finished set-up but guess what, my computer's decided to play up and I can't upload the pics...... 

Prop shafts guesses you need a new tool? calipers!

For the battery, what make, how old etc etc etc, another story, a new one would be best, charge and ballance it from new and bobs your uncle! With that kit you got in there I would have a fresh everything! How many dodgy new lippos have you had?

Ballance the battery again and discharge it in its working function in the garage or something and see how it does, discharge the pack under load not figures off time? Dunno Tims the guru!

But options options...... 

As I said earlier, I just dont think I would risk the lot to an over-discharged lipo in a Tx. I have managed in the past to recover packs which were too low ( of which 2 cells in yours are ) by a very slow charge and a couple of balance cycles, but even then, I would never use them in a "mission critical" role. Keep em for powering lights or something auxilary, and buy a new Tx pack for peace of mind.

Tim,

Tony was getting technical with why would a new lippo not do the same thing as his excisting pack!

I think he is wanting the tech stuff.. and why wont it happen to a new batt! Well IMO out of the 10 lippos I got over the last 6 months none have been faulty, the old are repalced into gliders or the like that dont need high power. As Tim says Tony buy a new one or the next the thread will be " I wish I had listed to Uncle Timbo"

Your Tx is the brain of RC flying, keep it happy!  

Quote:
Just a quick point. If my charger won't start the charge (keeps telling me its too low) how can I charge it?

Although I would recommend following the advice above regarding replacing the battery, to recover the battery you may be able to do so by lying to your charger.  Try a very low charge rate but see if a non-balance charge without connecting the balance lead at a lower cell count FOR A FEW MINUTES will bring the cell voltages up to above 3V.  Then try to charge as normal...

Whatever you do, be careful where you're charging the battery and monitor it constantly - Li-Pos often don't take kindly to abuse!

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/02/2010 22:35:17