Photo comp' queries, questions and chat

• 1 month later...
Advert

Very very pretty and interesting shot. Can you tell us the photo setting details and the subject?

BTW, I had to post a link to the photo as i have no idea how to quote the post from the other thread into this one. Help appreciated if there is a way.

Steve

Edited By Steve Fish on 24/04/2010 12:08:29

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 24/04/2010 12:37:12

No, I had not seen that David, Cool. Done. Thanks for the link.
So well done David E - please see my posting above.

BTW, Timbo and "Ashbo", I read with interest your comments referring to others' messages in the photo competition forum. I was left with the following questions and answers:
Who is the comp for?
Is it not a vehicle for demonstrating one's photos and if you happen to score with "the judges" all the good?
So good on you Iain Hale, whose postings are all equally worthy of being seen and perhaps this forum is as good a means of displaying his photography as any other regardless of his motivations with respect to the competition.
With respect to Timbo's comments one wonders if the competition rules have implicitly changed despite the first line of the competition rules being:

"You can enter as many times as you like."

Edited By Steve Fish on 25/04/2010 03:59:58

Edited By Steve Fish on 25/04/2010 04:02:37

Nothing's changed Steve, anyone can enter as many times as they like but what Tim was pointing out was the smiliarity of some of Iain's photos that's all.

Let me just say to anyone and everyone - if you're new to this forum then take some time to look around and see how it operates, do please also check the 'using the forum' folder for hints as to how to upload photos.

If your photo doesn't appear then it has taken properly, please don't assume that someone has removed it. If you're unhappy with something then please 'PM' a moderator or ask here and we'll do our best to help.  

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 25/04/2010 06:45:54

Steve, as David said, I was politely referring to the repetitious nature of many of the shots.
We have a users gallery on the forum, where members can post absolutely as many photos of all model flying related pictures, and this would seem to me to be the place for such material.

Steve,

Thanks for the compliments on the photo and sorry I didn't see your post earlier - I hadn't spotted that this thread existed!

The subject of the photo is discussed by the pilot on RC Groups here.

I can't remeber the exact settings used, but it was using my Sigma 12-24 lens, a tripod, "bulb" shutter mode to manually start and end the exposure. I'll look up the ISO sensitivity and aperture settings when I get home if I remember, as I set these by experimentation, to get the right combination of depth of field and exposure. Post a reply as a reminder if I forget, or PM me.

Of course, the background exposure varied according to how long the exposure was, but there is no "correct" epxosure for night photos anyway, it's more a matter of taste.

I particularly liked how the stars came out. Unfortunately the moon is so much brighter than everything else in shot there was no way I could avoid overexposing it, and that's with a camera with just about the best dynamic range out there!

Posted by kiwibob on 19/04/2010 17:29:09:

Blimey, Paul!!

That racer is a big 'un 

Good photo, too

Wonder if it will be at Rougham Large Model Show?

Bob

Sorry for the delay Bob,  I just saw your post.  Yeah, that plane was big alright, and went like a rocket!  Not sure if it will be at the show you mentioned, all these shots I post are from Aus.

David E. I love those night shots!

Hey guys,  I have a photo I'd like to share, but as the rules say no photoshopping apart from the std stuff, (which is a good rule btw)  I won't put it up in the comp

This is a "pseudo" HDR done with a program called photomatix and finished off with PS. This is backlit as we had to shoot into the sun all day, and was a  very bland shot generally, I really liked the smoke, so rather than delete it I had some fun with it.  I shoot in RAW mode and so converted 3 versions of the shot, one original, one 2 stops darker, and one 2 stops higher and exposure blended them together.  It's not a true HDR image, but it does give a pretty funky effect.  Might be an option next time you get a shot that you want to keep, but had the same issues as I did with this one to begin with.  It's far from perfect in the processing, and with more effort it could be much better, but I'm still new to the process of exposure blending, especially with only one initial exposure.

• 4 weeks later...