Rappie 50 new moves learnt at last !

Delta Whiskey

Decided to go for something different today, and instead of my normal fast figure 8's and stall turns, I got some more height than usual and flipped it inverted for about 10sec then pulled out got some speed and rolled it over all in a fairly straight line! Got the old ticker pumping , not felt this way since my first hover some 18 months ago....... !

Advert

Nice one DW.  I'm stuck at the stage just before that.  Figure 8s, stall turns,  fast circuits, slow circuits,  nose-in hovering - no problem.  But can I summon up the "bottle" to get the thing inverted?  Nope! 

Fixed-wing - no problem,  I'll fly that inverted all day if I have to,  but not the heli.  I think I envisage too many £££ if it all goes wrong.

Start with some loops John, then once used to loops, just pull in some negative pitch at the top and let it sit there as long as you dare!
3 crashes high of course!
Everyone was telling me to try it, but I thought the same as you about the £££, but it really was just a confidence thing in the end, as I could do it on phoenix, so that did help !
I started with heli's and now fly planks too, a lot more relaxing and easier  - just starting to complete full circuits inverted now too with em!

Yes you can still throw them around to a certain extent but the Raptor 50 Titan below has now the extra weight and it is affected by the wind more.  Looks good now though hovering above a hedge!

As for cost - compliments of a very understanding girlfriend at birthday time

Which reminds me - birthday coming up soon again

I also "stuck" at the non-inverted Heli flight stage for ages......months and months and months went by.........

I practised and practised on Phoenix with "my" model, using the weather facility to give increasing instability and uncertainty (which many seem never to use). I kept deliberately throwing it into chaotic flight and recovering it, spent hours and hours on this.

Then one day using my 450 with good lighting and a decent breeze, JUST enough to get weathercocking feel, I just decided to go for it, and in short order over two batteries did a few loops, a few rolls, and held inverted hover.  Then a few fixed wing combination moves.

It was EXACTLY as per Phoenix, felt exactly the same.

I have no aspirations to do extreme 3D, only for Aerobatics, so MY next "bottle" barrier is looping and rolls INDOORS in the Sports Hall!!!

Cheers Dave - I'm very lucky - she is brill!  Thanks for the grass comment!.  Looks like a bit of very low inverted flying then!  Kill 2 birds with one stone and all that!

I totally agree with you on using a good sim like the Phoenix - Invaluable training!

Posted by John Privett on 19/03/2010 10:39:54:
Yep - I can loop any heli on Phoenix,  no problem at all.  I've been flying f/wing more years than I care to admit and loop, roll, fly inverted all day with those.  It's just a mental block I need to smash through with the heli.  I'll get there soon(ish)!

Hey, I'd been fixed wing (inc Autogyro) since 1973, sponsored demo team even, didn't help the bottle situation one iota!!

What REALLY helped was not the ability to roll and loop a Heli in Phoenix, but to fly it in weather FAR more taxing than I'd ever fly a real world one, AND to get out of pretty much any orientation situation while doing so. Wind the turbulence and gusts right up!!

If you can do that, then get out there on the next 5-8mph sunny day with nobody around to "help" (also important!!! ) and DO IT, because YOU CAN!!

• 1 month later...