Flair Kite

Advert

Yes an excellent model, strong, stable and will bounce rather than break and is my first aileron model.  If you build as per the instructions you will have no problem.  Mine is covered in Glosstex (as per the recommendation).  Give some thought to cutting out the engine cowl to fit otherwise you may cut more than you would like.  Drill two holes through the cowl to line up with the silencer mounting bolts to enable you offer up a long allen key to unscrew the silencer mounting bolts and allow you to drop the silencer, making removing the engine cowl much easier.  You will need a lump of lead to balance out.  I determined how much lead was needed and made most of this weight up with a lead plate and  mounted it behind the fire wall with a through bolt and nut.  Smaller adjustments are then made by adding weight to the side of the engine bearer.   Flying with/without engine cowl and spinner moves the C.G. more than you would at first think and you will have to remove some lead if you have balanced out for a cowl and spinner.   Works very well as a tail dragger with steerable tail wheel, however if you are not up to bending piano wire to form tight bends and  soldering, you will have to put your thinking cap on for alternatives.   A flat receiver battery fits nicely up against the forward bulkhead and if you are up to making some form of battery box it will be bombproof.  The fuel tank access hatch can sometimes spring open on a heavy landing and  I have a fitted a simple elastic band across the top in front of the wing leading edge.  I have gone one size up on the undercarriage wheels to make it easier on take offs in wet conditions from  my  club`s grass strip.  I fit 6 x 8inch elastic bands to hold the wing on and had no problems. 

have fitted an OS40LA to my Kite and it  has given good service over the last 2 years.  However as I gain more experience I am flying in more unsettled weather conditions,  currently, I am having problems on taking off in high winds and suspect that I need a more powerful engine. I have bought an OS46LA to slot into the original fittings to see what happens. 

If anyone else has experience of the Kite and can contribute I would be very interested to know what engines others have fitted.

• 4 months later...
HI,
Have just seen the post. I have a Flair Kite (likewise first seen at Paul Heckles, which I bought as soon as the kit came out and is surviving inspite of the pilot.

The engine I fitted first was an OS46 which was good but lacked a bit of oomf (PH uses 53 4 stroke I think) but I ubgraded to a JEN .57 to which I added a Weston Genesis Throttle pipe. Both worthwhile investments. Once I got used to the plan I increased the throws and she is incredible manouverable and handles high winds well. She is brilliant both as a beginners and follow on plane.

My major other mod was to upgrade the undercart and cowl to carbon fibre (ordered from one of the shows) plus putting two dowels just above the base of the fuselage around where the u/c fits and fastening them with rubber bands not screws. If she comes in heavy this folds doing no damage to the plane. To stop the wheels wandering some fillets across the bottom of the fuse wher the u/c straps to the fuse does the trick.

I like this plane so much that I'm thinking of building a new kit a an electric conversion - Has anyone done one I wonder?

Go for it - much stronger thana  Wot 4 and they're good.

Hi Andy,
I echo the previous comments.
The Flair Kite is a great plane, it's a nice kit to build, a nice plane to fly and as tough as old boots. You won't be dissapointed if you get one.
Mine is fitted with an Irvine 46 with 11" x 7.5"Graupner prop, which for me is a combination with plenty of power and a noise level well below 80dB.

John