Building board meterials?

Marc Freullet

Advert

Good Morning Marc. I can answer you query quite easily , you wiil first need a good strong base board as the material I am going to suggest is not very strong in itself. Having got a base you need to obtain
the kind of board used for notice boards in schools and offices. I bought mine at a timber merchant.Just ask for notice board and they will sort you out in no time. Ps. Make your base board about 25mm thick.Hope this helps, regards Allan J..TTFN

The board used by train people is Sundeala, it can be brought from Jewsons, BUT only in large 8ft x 4ft sheets. Try some model train shops, I got mine from Model Images, Letchworth. Great stuff, stays flat (screw it to a suitable hard board), takes pins (and you have to pull hard to get them out), best of all when the surface is covered in glue etc, unscrew it, and flip it over. If you look at my Dauntless build in Blogs you can see what it looks like.

I too use Sundeala on a 2"x 1" soft timber frame - actually a modified model rail baseboard as I dabble in that too and yes most good railway model shops should stock in 4'x 2'sheets. It is slightly firmer than fibre board used for noticeboards but still does cut up with a modelling knife. For some work I also use a self healing cutting mat (again good model shops) placed on top.
Mike

Don't know what they call it but my board is grey in colour, about 6mm thick, almost like dense paper fibres. Bought at the local hardware store some years ago in a 4'x2.5' sheet. This is on a length of good quality, heat/warp/water etc resistant kitchen work top. (No, not the one "She who must be obeyed" prepares food on!!)

Have a look at the Sundeala website. This material has been made from recycled paper since long before recycling became environmentally friendly (or, if you are a cynic like me, fashionable).

I am planning to make a new building board later this year. The Sundeala website lists several distributors, who will cut a 8ft x 4ft sheet into mmore manageable sheets - can't remember the name of the one I shall be using, but they are in Borehamwood.

The best base material to support the Sundeala is probably 19mm MDF -it never warps.