Database of unusual models

Posted by Erfolg on 02/05/2010 12:14:13:
Roberto

The link, is both very interesting.

I so approve at many levels, the large collection of bottles

Both the subject of the XF-85 MacDonald was certainly different and the method of build is very interesting.

The quality of build is also exemplary, and puts my own efforts to shame

I will try and track this model, and hope it flies, as so much is expected from the fan. Here's hoping.

It is a pity I speak or know so little Spanish.

Erfolg
 It was flown.
The main problem was the lack of landing gear. It was damaged on landing. Now he's repairing it.
Don't hesitate to contact me for help with Spanish translation.

Advert

I have used the translate facility on the site that Roberto has created a link. I assume the facility is a feature of Windows Internet Explorer. The wonders of modern software, it just knew it was Spanish.

It is not perfect, can be slightly entertaining as some Spanish words are translated into English swear words, I am reasonably sure that this was not the Spanish meaning.

I can imagine Timbos apoplexia, if we were to post the text.

It is even more interesting with the words that can be understood.

Erfolg

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother on 03/05/2010 22:39:46:
What an amazing model! The build techniques (going by the pictures because my Spainish is limited to things to you either eat or drink!) are fasinating.

Roberto, what is the silver covering? Is it a commercial product?

BEB

Covering is oracover chrome silver.
In the first post there is a link to a previous goblin that he made as glider. There he mentioned that that was the coating he used.

Dear Goblin Followers

I am so impressed with the build and so surprised that it actually flew. Seems almost anything can be made to fly, if you can build in enough lightness.

I am very impressed with the ingenuity of the young man, never mind the skill.

Perhaps that Douglass X3 is doable, if I only had the skill, Dam, dam, dam.

Certainly a lot of lessons for me, in the Goblin build!

Erfolg

After retiring for my nocturnal slumber, I was aroused from my fitful slumber by the thought, the "Goblin" would not have any undercarriage, being a parasitic plane.

I then thought, it must have had some kind of undercarriage for testing.

So I got out "The American Fighter", Enzo Angelucci & Peter Bowers and "Air Power", which is good for the historic development. Although there are photographs of a ground handling trolley complete with aircraft, all the text refers to the testing being undertaken from a motheship. Reference is made to a number of forced belly landings. So perhaps there was never an undercarriage, even for testing?

It seems that the belly landings of the model and damage are very scale. Good old British grass or the top quality cultivated grass of  the Spanish resorts would be the ideal landing strip. Definitely not the abrasive sand/grit of non cultivated land.