Water slide decals

TonyS

Hi Chaps,
Anyone know how to make water slide decals stick to painted foam surfaces?
I've had mixed experiences with the same model. First time they stuck like mad - never a problem. Second time they flaked off, came off on my fingers if they were slightly damp etc etc.
Is there a secret to this....
Thanks 

Advert

• 3 weeks later...
Hi TonyS,

After having wrangled with all sorts of dramas with water slide decals over the past week or so, I also tried a very watered-down PVA solution to re-stick some decals that had lifted around the edges. It worked perfectly!!

I used a small, soft artist's brush to paint the PVA solution under the edges, smooth it back down again and 2 days later they're still looking well stuck.

I also found some info that says the longer you leave the decal in the water the greater the chance that the glue will dissolve away before you've removed the decal from the water. If the edges of the decal have started to lift off the backing paper before you remove it from the water, it's too late - the glue is gone and the edges will lift as it dries out, no matter how smooth it looks when you've finished  putting it on. This I know from very recent error & trial (yes, there were more errors than successes ).

I've found this to be great advice found elsewhere on a craft-based web site:
Wet the decal  very briefly (5 seconds for a small decal, 10-15 seconds for really big ones, then just let them sit for 30-40 seconds for the glue to dissolve in place. Slide them on and they stick. For really big decals, slide the paper away from underneath the decal and smooth it out as you go to prevent wrinkles.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...
If you own an Alfa Model of any type then you will be fully briefed in the painful world of water slide decals.
The only way to make them permanent and to be protected from the wet grass is to spray the whole model with a clear coat.

I used a matt finish as it was a war bird and they aren't supposed to be shiney but you can go for a shiney coat if you like.

Word of warning though, test the finish on an area first, I had a bit of a whoopsie where I sprayed acrylic clear coat over enamel which turned my Tempest a milky white colour !

A few hours with some ultra fine rubbing paper got the finish back and has left it looking nicely weathered.

• 3 weeks later...
As someone who has spent too long playing with plastic model kits I know there are a number of decal solutions on the market. Your local hobby store should have them. They will help the decal to slide on without breaking and stick better, they probably need a coat of clear varnish or similar over them to seal them though.

Dan.