Thurday at Croydon Aeromodellers

So, at some stage in the dim dark past, way before I was a member of Croydon, the President (Haydn), vice pres (Dave), and treasurer (Adrian) were bemoaning the loss of traditional building skills and wondering where they could be relearned.
Haydn happened to mention that 20 or so years ago, he had made some moulds for a 1/5 scale MK 24 Spitfire and that he could teach then the art of fibreglassing.
Thus began a weekly workshop in the Haydn's garage.  Four guys including Haydn met every Wednesday to lay up the fuse and wings, scratch build retracts and fit out these airframes.

It's been a slow process for some (Haydn is typically building a prototype Spiteful instead of the Spit and has had to sratch build the wings.

But last week, Adrian decided he was ready to see if his flew.

Adrian has the wing, while Haydn (also a heavy model inspector (this model weights 28 Lb)) checks the innards.

Adrian and Glenn (Test Pilot) put her the right way up.

Unfortunately, there was a substantial cross wind and all present chose discretion over valour.  And the model stayed on the ground... for the time being.

Cheers,

Hugh

Edited By Hugh Coleman on 24/04/2010 01:24:23

Advert

Yep.  Adrian is a stickler for detail.  And a perfectionist (as is Haydn).  The paint finish on the wings is as good as any you will see on a concourse car (Adrian also restors cars).

I will keep all updated on this as I am hoping to be available for when the maiden actualy happens.

Cheers,

Hugh

• 2 weeks later...
Well, It has finally happened.  Unfortunately, I was not around to photograph it.

Adrians Spit Mk 24 Maidened successfuly on Sunday last.

Apparently flew beautifuly... Until, actually on finals, a loose screw fron the carby somehow got sucked into the engine and the Zenoa had a catastrophic failure.

Luckily, the beast was so well trimmed that the test pilot was able to glide her in to a perfect landing, ready for fitment of a replacement engine, which is underway as you read this.

Although I was not around to see her fly, I was there earlier in the morning and took these two shots.

Cheers,

Hugh

Edited By Hugh Coleman on 04/05/2010 13:30:27