What's in a transmitter.

I have been flying for over a year now quite happily on a DX6i (second hand) and a new DX5i (bought as a buddy box).
Recently a club member has commented that if I wished to be serious about the sport, then he recommended a DSX9 or above.
The aircraft I fly requires a maximum of five channels, with flaperons, a DX6i has expo and model memory. What advantages would nine channels and loads more buttonsdo?
Opinions please. Will a DX6i suit me a fun flyer as I have no intention to go into any sort of competition?
Your thoughts please.

Advert

the DX6i will fly a lot of models will give you flaps or flaperons and retracts.

there is only a need to upgrade if you get a model and it requires more than 6 channels . the DSX9 will not offer any significant advantage at this stage IMO.

I would not upgrade until you need to. you might only break your new TX. and when it is time to upgrade there maybe new (and better) options available

Your friend should know that ANYONE is serious in this 'hobby' when they invest hard earned ££ into a plane, radio (basic or otherwise), flight kit, club membership etc,etc...

When you need more servos than your TX & RX (& many adapters & leads) can handle.  THEN, you may want to consider getting a 'Carlos Fandango' setup.

If, on the other hand you want more precision control & minute adjustment for competition purposes.  Invest.

Only thing wrong with exspensive gear is .... Exspense.  But, if you don't need or require it.  Don't buy it.

BB

P.S. As for 'Whats in an transmitter' ?  Not a lot.  Two gimbles, switch mounts and a micro pcb that would fit in a match box 

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 06/06/2010 21:40:29

Thanks people, you have just saved me about three hundred and sixty quid.
For the sake of interest, my 120 Piper Cub got through the 82db test yesterday. 120 SC four stroke and a Graupner Sonic 16 x 10 prop. I was well pleased as it saved me fifty pounds on a super quiet silencer. (Sorry Just Engines!! And they are such nice people too.)

JRDSX9  at over £ 500 l dont think thats mony well spent, ln my opinion keep it in your pocket you can upgrade when you want and if your lucky from inside your club when someone else upgrades theres, as the others have said you get more switchs and  also a thicker instruction manual, keep things simple for now
cheers ...........................mark

I used to fly with a Spektrum DX7, but changed to a DSX9 when one came along at the right price. My only reason was that I used to have the 35mhz version, and was used to the feel and programming. Your abilty to fly will not be hindered by your transmitter, I would only upgrade if you need the extra channels.

If someones telling you they fly better with the DSX9, they are probably trying to justify the cost of buying it in the first place. Nice bit of kit, but not essential.

Cheers,

Simon

Spice I'm up to 9 models on the DX6i and it still does everything I need including a 10lb warbird with flaps and retracts. I think it's fantastic value for money.

I think I'll be going for a DX7 next, purely for more model memories and a bit more flexibility. But I'll keep the 6i as a backup.

If you feel the need to record your model settings for any reason have a look at my spreadsheet on this other thread.

It also helped me work out what is where on the menu system.