PSSA Great Ome June 2010

Tim Mackey

Thanks to all the guys who made the journey and commited their precious toys to the perils of the big rock. One or 5 "incidents" occured, but everyone went home smiling...see you at the next one
The text referred to the duet of Simon Cocker and Phil Cooke flying there superb T33s, but we forget to include the picture ...so here it is.
( Photo courtesy of Rez Manzoori )

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 08/06/2010 11:43:38

• 4 years later...
Advert

Hi all, I am visiting friends in north wales next week and as I have on old electric glider Ithought it would be a good oppurtunity to try my hand at gliding which I have never done before. looking on google earth I see there are two roads on the Orme so I wonder if someone could tell me the best place for me to try flying and also are there any local rules or regulations I should be aware of. thanks Colin

Hi Colin,

There is really one road that goes around the perimeter, and it's a toll. Not much to pay, but once you are on that, you sort of drive around the rock anti-clockwise. Once you see the cafe that is on the cliffs on the right, there is a track more or less directly opposite, named the "tank track". It's quite a corrugated surface! Anyway, up there to the top, and there's a large car park. This location seems to work for SW round to (I think) N winds.

It's NT land, although I hear there is dispensation for the modellers to fly electric? I think.

Just to clarify a couple of things, there is an alternative route which avoids the toll - take the summit road instead ( side of the empire hotel ) and then turn right just after the tram halfway station. This road then joins the other one half way around, then continue as Andy describes.

Its not National Trust.

We will require proof of your BMFA insurance ( or equivalent ) please ask for Phil Cooke or myself.

Wind direction on that slope is South clockwise through to North West - if we move, we will let you know as best we can, but basically anything North to North E will see us on the "ski slope slope".

If its South East, forget it ( highly unlikely ) Im happy to take phone calls from anyone considering the trip on Saturday Sunday - I can give an on the spot report of conditions to save a long wasted journey.

PM me for my mobile number.

All welcome ( but no noisy electrics / IC please ) see you there laugh