Luton Minor + Sep 2010 free plan

Richard Wicker

• 4 weeks later...
Advert

• 1 month later...
We tried to maiden our Luton Minor yesterday, suspected that there would be a problem as has turned out quite tail heavy and getting in to balance at the plan CofG needed a lot of weight in the nose...result is its too heavy to get off the ground.

Can't understand it, built strictly to plan and there's nothing aft of the CoG except balsa sheet...any wild ideas ???

I enjoyed the build by the way, great plan

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

Cheers for the compliments on the plan.

Seems a bit odd its come out tail heavy if theres nothing weighty behind the cg .

Can you give me a breakdown on the brand of motor , esc and battery. Are the RX and servos situated as per plan ? , if so what make / model are they?

I think the plan called for the cg arounf 60mm (around 2 1/3 ") back from the LE , how far back has yours turned out ?

Also how is the model covered ?

Cheers

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
Hello to everyone,
it was my intention to buld the Luton minor when the plan came out last year,but due to other builds such as the Zulu ET and the Pix-E Major it was put on hold.
Seems like a good idea as there are so many wonderfull models to look at,all the info i want is on here,the Luton looks more robust than the Pixie which was constructed of 1/16" balsa open structure aft of the t/e of the wing.
Congratulation to all the builders,such a diverse look for the same model.
Hope to start the build in a few weeks time....cheers..ian

Dave (& Reuben)

Thanks for your response of
about a month ago on my tail heavy problem with the LM on our maiden failure.
Sorry for the delay but I’ve been out of action in the interim

Details are:

Motor 4-max PRO-2827-1000
(140W) weight 50g

ESC 4-max PP-TESC20AU weight
19g mounted behind Firewall

Servos are HS55’s in plan
positions

Radio is AR500 mounted in Servo Bay
(front)

Flight Battery
is 1300mah 3S

My COG comes out at about
80mm, plan was 60mm as you say

AUW is 850g somewhat heavier
than plan, covering is Profilm

We now think this might fly
and that we had a binding problem which has confused the results of the maiden
flight, which amounted to a long run and a stall off the ground into the rape
field.

Dave & Dave,
The extra power is nice but wasted other than a couple of loops.

Dave,
I havn't weighed mine but it does take a fair bit of runway to get airborne and I don't touch the elevator untill the wheels have left the ground and she's up to airspeed.
Keep with it as it will be an enjoyable flyer.
-Reuben

lol...I'd bet you'll be 3D 'ing and STOL'ing it over summer Reuben .

Dave, your build seems pretty much identical to mine equiment wise.

The only things I can think of is I used fairly lightweight balsa stock and as its got a long tail this could make a difference. Failing that, I used quite sturdy heavyweight wheels ( our strip is dire and usually kills lightweight ones after a couple of landings..unless its me ) Other than that I used an APC prop ..again fairly heavy compared to say a GWS.

If all else fails, add a little noseweight for the early flights at least (always safer than being tail heavy) then try reducing it little by little but stop immediately it starts getting twitchy.

As much as dont like adding nose weight to any model its a much much better option than going tail heavy..ask me how I know

Posted by Reuben Kinghorn on 20/05/2011 20:24:39:

Dave,
The only hoovering I do is to remove the balsa dust from the carpet

lol...know what u mean ..try laminate flooring ..its the future

As for the building board, the microlight (as above  - full pics here) http://www.modelflying.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=14653
  flew like a sack of spuds so thats a non starter I'm afraid

Ive got a series of semi-scale-ish little uns (about 20" ) coming soon which are nice quick builds, very cheap, and huge fun to fly. Just waiting for some sunshine then I can make a trek to Wales for Mr Whittaker to do the pics (lower, lower, lower ..now do it again.. but inverted ..and lower)

As a long term build I'm also kit bashing a big foamy ducted fan "jet"... basically getting a cheap off the shelf kit , stripping it back and giving it a full makover from the ground up so its a complete one off . Its one I'm doing for myself so not sure if the mag wants to cover it or not. ..maybe if it turns out ok you never know

Edited By Foamie Dave on 20/05/2011 21:34:36

Reuben

Thanks that's encouraging, I hink we are getting used to "hauling off the deck" rather than seeing if it will take of on its own

Dave

Thanks for response, I am coming to the conclusion that it is down to balsa weights as you suggest

When my pilot gets back I'll let you know

Dave L

• 2 weeks later...
Well it finally flew !!! Required a lot of up elevator to keep it level though so I suspect I need to increase the angle of attack of the wing ??? If so the clever design makes this a doddle !!!

If that doesn't work then I'll build another and look to lighten it as much as possible, maybe a built up tail and rear fuselage, rather than sheet.

Thanks for your help

Dave

Nice one Dave

Just tweak it a little at a time for starters. Try a few trimming circuits, preferably with a buddy at the side taking notes as you go..its much easier than trying to remember and concentrate on flying at the same time..ask me how I know

Also check if it climbs or dives more as you increase the throttle. If it noticably dives (or tucks under) when you hit the throttle, you might have too much downthrust.

Hold the model from the side and look at the motor angle, wing incedence and tailplane . Idealy the wing should be set parralel to the h-stab (or just a degree or two positive incedence - ie higher at the L/E) and the motor pointing very slightly down . The motor downthrust should be just visible at arms length..if its noticably pointing down from more than a few away it may be too much down.

If the incedence and motor thrust lines are both slightly off you can end up with a pitching "see saw" effect as they flight each other...you'll soon pick it up as you start fine tuning

Actually trimming it like this hands on is a great learning tool..you'll be a wiz before you know it.

Once again many thanks for the update ...makes doing em all the more worthwhile

Just seen all the comments re my fathers luton minor design! The original f/f design he actually designed and built whilst my mother was in hospital having me! I am now 58! When we redesigned the r/c version Ron Moulton photographed myself and Dad in front of the fullsize one at old warden for the cover of the December 1969 Aeromodeller mag.

It was powered by first a Mills 1.3 then an OS 15 which as it says in the article turned it into a parasol Kwik Fli (for those who remember Phil Krafts aerobatic design!) It was equipped with Kraft Kp7 servos metal cased which each one weighed as much as a full set of r/c now! it was also covered in nylon,and doped.Not a lightweight. It would be great to hear from anyone who as made an electric version.

I have just returned to the hobby after 25 years I think Dad will be turning in his grave to see me flying Foamies and ready to fly helis!

Brian

• 1 month later...
Nice one Dave .

Its amazing how just the smallest of tweaks can make all the difference. Glad you got it going mister

Got a few more on the drawing board (both foam and balsa) ..all pretty small but lots of fun!

After that I'm tweaking a kit to see if we can improve on the oringinal ..something a bit bigger ..and faster this time

• 1 month later...