Night Flying P-51

Just had my first night flying experience, we stuck a couple of glow sticks to the wings of my P-51 and one on the nose for orientation purposes, this was for the benefit of the audience though as I was wearing a set of night vision goggles, it was as clear as daylight for me but the guys watching had the spectacular view of a blurr of green flashes. What made it more fun was the squadron of interceptor bats that launched to dog fight me. We tried to video it through another set of goggles but the camera wouldn't focus on the plane.

Advert

Yes indeed David, the micro mustang actually flys really nicely with the extra weight of the minature glow sticks on the wing tips (2" long glow sticks with a 5mm diameter) I had to move the battery aft slightly to get her to balance but she felt very stable, not as twitchy as usual and that was on high rates. The bats either thought it was a threat, were drawn to the green glow sticks or the sound of the mustangs motor drew their attention but it was 3 V 1 at one stage ! Parkzones finest held her own though.

Edited By James40 on 20/06/2010 20:04:56