I need help with my Yak 54-50

Mark White

Good morning everyone,
im a new member to the club. i wondered if anyone has built and flown the Yak 54-50? i built it but have had real problems flying it.
it was strange to take off and when in the air appeared to be tail heavy, i mean flying at a 45 degre angle.i had tested the C of G and if anything it was 1 oz nose heavy.
i must admitt i did panic as i have never had a plane do this so i just landed her.
any ideas what i should do?
all the best Mark
sorry about my spelling!

Advert

Some planes when put into "High Alpha" very nose high like to stay there using lots of power and have to be coaxed nose down again, how much of a chance did you give it or was it (understandably) "heck, lets get it down"...........

Did it go straight to nose high or only after a pull out?? 

Mark,

IS this the same model as the Nitro Models/Planenutz Yak 3D?, if it is it needs a .70 FS not a 52 fs as  the airframe with the large cowl is very draggy, although mine flies very well, if  is the same model I can check the CG on mine and let you know.  

Good morning everyone!! thank you for your comments (Flanker, David and  Roy )

Im really greatfull for all of your help and interest in trying to help me!!!!

But last night my mate tried to sort the problem out, it didnt want to take off, i think its because of the way the planes designed (very short between wing and tail) , anyway it took off then flew at 45 degrees like before. then my mate tried to adjust the trims where it went into a spin and he couldn' t gain control. Needles to say its now in a big rubbish bag. luckily the motor etc was all fine, so not a total loss.

Kind regards Mark

i hope to fly  my Seb Art Katana later, that will cheer me up

Thank you Eric,

yes your right, ive had my Seb art Katana for a about 3 months and im using the Spektrum 2.4 ghz its a fantastic plane, i brought the 50 size a few weeks ago but am going to wait to fly it at a club near Southend where there s more room.i love it but not when windy.

When i didnt use it for a few weeks, as on holiday,it was a bit dusty so i put a duster over her, and to my horror some of the red covering came off. i had to remove it all and cut another flame ,ibut it looks great now.

Regards Mark

And a last piece of advice. ALWAYS crash your own models! I notice that the poor yak was in one piece when YOU had finished flying it. I ALWAYS test fly/fly my own planes, I am not the greatest pilot but thanks to a life long habit of doing it MY way I have gained a lot of experiance and these days I've got out of some nasties in fine style, most recently landing my SU27 in one piece with no ailerons. (don't ask why there were no ailerons!)

Flanker,

Thank ypu for that, i will pass it on to my flying mate, he has been flying for about 2 years, and has tought me to fly. The Yak was the first plane of mine he s crashed.

I feel i have learned at lot in the short time ive been flying, so i will stick with my Seb art Katana for now.

i hope to fly my Kyosho Oxalys on sunday or monday with my other mate at a club near Southend

Regards Mark

Flanker,

Thank you, like you said at least i did land it myself. When the weather was better 2, 3 months ago i flew every night 6 or 7 ten minute flights,with my Mini pulse that gave me lots of confidence, but the last few months have been terrable, rain , rain and more rain, not to mention the wind.needles to say my confidence has been knocked.

I will stick to my Katana for now and hopefully gain my confidence again.

i hope to take a plane to Spain in a few weeks where i should get a chance to fly whenever i want and in the sunshine.

Regards Mark

Be careful dude! I took a trip to Spain twelve years ago...... andI'm still here. It is a little different, here June 'till late August are the non flying much months (you have to get up early-yuk) If you want to get really good buld a shock flyer, they hone your skills like nowt else, I mean it! BUT you do have to be careful with larger aircraft after exclusive shocky use due to the tendency to try something stupid way to low!  Just off for a swim ! He He He

Flanker,

thank you, are you anywhere near Malaga? and are their lots of places to fly? sorry to ask another question but what about a Mini Edge 540 3D i brought it a few months ago but havent finished it yet. was thinking of taking it with me, but i normaly fly biger planes.

All the best Mark

hope you enjoyed your swim!!!!!

Hi there

Have entered this thread a little late to be asking this, but i would be v. interested to hear from anyone who has built and flown the CMPro Yak 54 (52" wingspan). After a great deal of searching i am certain that this is the same plane as the NitroModels Yak of the same description (50 2 stroke engine designation). A 3d capable, scale I.C aerobat of about 50" span is exactly what i am looking for next although i intend to put a 4 stoke in it.

Thanks

Chris