smoking tx

Scully

i was wondering if anyone out there has suffered the same problem as myself .i've been using two 6ex tx's [2.4] linked by buddy lead for 6 months or so whilst training . today the master showed no display when switched on followed by burning smell from the linked buddy tx [not the master] . any help as to what to do next will be welcomed . [both tx batteries charged yesterday]

Advert

Smoke with electricity is a bad sign  Your transmitter spirit may have disappeared skywards. I'm not familiar with those sets but it sounds like you may have a short circuit in the buddy lead plug at the slave set or a short circuit in the slave set socket maybe caused by wear and tear as you push/pull/wiggle the plug to connect/disconnect it. Does the master TX work without the buddy lead plugged in? If yes - hooray - if no you might be lucky and find that it has just blown the internal fuse probably requiring the case to be opened to replace it. Does the slave box still work without the buddy lead? If yes - hooray - buy a new buddy lead. If no  probably not good - you can check the fuse as per the master TX and while the case is open check the rear of the buddy socket for touching contacts or contacts pushed out of the socket altogether. After that I suppose the only thing to do is to send them both (and the buddy lead) back to Ripmax for repair.

thanks wingman for your quick response . the slave tx [the one that the burning  smell came from] still functions .the master tx is dead in so much that there is no lcd display . my main concern is that i may have invalidated the warranties by using a buddy lead , therefore having to buy possibly two txs for the sake of a dodgy buddy lead . it we be annoying not to say costly considering they were  purchased new 7 months ago

OK Scully no problem. Using a buddy lead will definately not invalidate the warranty - both txs have buddy lead sockets and trainer switches as standard and you used a standard buddy lead. I suspect that the Master TX has probably got a blown battery fuse. However as they are still under warranty I wouldn't mess about with them - pack up both TXs and the buddy lead  with a note explaining what happened and send them back for repair. It's better that Ripmax get the smoke in their worshop than you getting it by trying to connect them up again! It does mean, of course, that you won't be flying for a while but thems the breaks I'm afraid  

just to to say i have now removed the case on both tx's and there is the same burnt out part on the left side of the pcb on both tx;s . i'm still trying to get information off ripmax regarding returns ,they just keep banging on about going to retailer first

It is up to the shop where they were bought to do something, not the importer etc.  So take them back to the shop if they both came from the same shop.
I would not take the buddy lead back unless it was genuine Futaba and / or bought at the same shop!   You dont want them to blame someone else  for the problem.

An interesting point is you could use a Futaba 35Mhz set as a buddy set to a 2.4Ghz Futaba if the 35 Mhz has the  same shape plug ( square is the latest I think ) Not a lot of people know that!  See Futaba website.  

Edited By kc on 29/06/2010 11:43:17