How long to charge NiCad tx and rx batts after a flying session?

Bob Moore

I try and look afrer my NiCads and only  slow charge at  a charge rate of 10% of capacity.

If I haven't flown for a good while I give the tx and rx packs an overnight 10% charge, maybe 14 hours before flying the next day.  Seems a bit like overkill but at least one knows they are close to capacity.

When I have a flying session I guess the most they are in use is 1/2 hour, say maybe an hour absolute max.  After such a session it seems a bit unecessary to give a whole 14 hours?  What do others do.  Am I right in thinking (as I read somewhere) that NiCads can be charged at 10% almost indefinitely without damage. I guess the damage aspect is my reason for the question.

What do you do?

Any opinions welcome please

Edited By Bob Moore on 28/06/2010 18:28:47

Edited By Bob Moore on 28/06/2010 18:34:19

Advert

hello bob-spend £30.00 on a computer/fast charger...throw away the wall type that comes with the radio set's and let the new one do all the donkey work for you...ie deciding how much to put back in...cycling the cell's etc.....there are a few different ones to choose from.....they are all good...

ken anderson....ne...1. 

Hi Bob, I use NiMHs in my TXs and LiFe receiver packs now days so they both prefer a fast charge. Ocassionally I'll cycle the NiMHs too. Hardly ever use the wall wart.

As Ken says get a good charger and the LCD screen readout will remove all the guess work.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 28/06/2010 19:39:16

I've been considering this for some time, but there are so many chargers of varying types and prices it's hard to decide where to begin.

I don't have anything other than NiCd or NiMH and, at present, have no need or desire to go for LiPo.

Is there a basic unit which will charge/cycle my Tx/Rx batteries which anyone could recommend?   Where would be a good place to source one?

I have a quite limited modelling budget as I'm retired and only have a small pension.

Malcolm

What's wrong with just sticking them on overnight on a wall charger?

The TX will (probably) have a voltage reading, so no issues there.  If you feel the need spend £3 on a 4.8/6V battery checker off ebay and reassure yourself there too.

Feel free send me half the £27 I have just saved you.

Whats wrong is that NiMh cells positively hate being overcooked, far more so than the 'ol NiCds did -and left on slow charge for too long will overheat and deteriorate quickly.
As already suggested, buy an auto charger which will peak detect the correct time to shut off the charge.

Thanks for the advice.  A dedicated smart charger is one answer, but as I'm also on a limited budget I wondered if there's a solution that doesn't involve spending more money!  ie a different charge regime? Plus my home-built variable rate charger has served me well and I have nIcads that are still going strong after 10 years or more.

I checked out chargers online and found one at £35
I've only got LiPo's in my electric glider, only 2s 1000Ma and have a £5 Giant Cod charger that keeps them happy.  (?Maybe it was £10) But I have loads of NiCad packs of various sorts in other models.  Plus individual AA's in Nicads,  NiMh, Eneloops,  for which I already have a smart charger.

I'm with you Andy. My current method has worked for a few years, maybe I'll stick with it?

The cheque is in the post

edit ps. I don't slow cook the NiMh's, but thanks for the warning.

Edited By Bob Moore on 28/06/2010 20:39:31

Edited By Bob Moore on 28/06/2010 20:42:57