St Models Blaze EP ARTF chat

Delta Whiskey

Just wondered if anyone has tried one of these models, just seen myslef from RCME Gliders UK Advert?

I have a ST Models MX2 and it's a little underpowered but otherwise holding up well, but have always fancied the Multiplex Blizzard, but put off by the high cost of the Tuning kit (model price itself was within budget) so whilst I suspect performance will not be as fast, seems ideal for a bit of aerobatics and fast passes along with the chance of catching a thermal or two?

Anyone comment of what I can expect or as a comparassion to the Bizzard?

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 05/07/2010 12:40:23

Advert

Thanks,  it shows
Overall: A very well designed aerobatic warmliner that is extremely good value for money.

So a warmliner sums it up, not quite a hotliner but I am still tempted as I'm not for all out speed, just some gliding some speed & basic areobatcis!

There's a couple of Blizzards at my patch, and the do shift ! Also make a nice whislting sound too.

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 05/07/2010 13:15:12

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 05/07/2010 13:15:48

I've had one for a couple of weeks now.  It flies very smoothly and the motor is quite powerful. It will climb almost vertically from a hand launch. Wingtips are quite thin and can suffer a bit on landings (guess how I found that out)

At first the glide was not good, but I found that I had positioned the battery too far forward. It needs to be right back in the compartment under the wings. I think that the CG position is critical for good performance so it will pay to set it up carefully.

Great value for money!

Happy landings

Pete

• 1 month later...
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 09/08/2010 18:44:51:
..... It is not a thermal soarer. 

It is off the slope.

I have fitted a 10" x 7" Aeronaut carbon prop in place of the supplied 10" x 6" and it will climb truly vertical with good authority. Also, the 4mm Blizzard spinner assembly can be made to fit and the colour matches the decals perfectly. Talking of decals, if they are ironed on with a very low heat (and a cotton sole cover) they adhere very well indeed.
Outstanding for the price!

• 5 weeks later...
Next plane on from first flights with a trainer and love it to bits (hopefully not literally)!
This plane does everything I ask of it and is very docile in the stall as well.
The wing tips will eventually suffer with landings (well - mine anyway!).
Get one now!
Word of warning to JR TX users - the delta tail function on JR TX's will not work correctly on this as the servo's are top mounting, not bottom.
I ended up having to make my own custom mix, but it's not hard.

• 2 months later...
According to the destructions, to turn the brake on:

Disconnect the battery with the airplane before operation switch. (I think that means disconnect the motor from the ESC and also the battery from the ESC)
Move the throttle stick forward to its highest place.
Plug the battery to the fuselage.  (I assume that means to the ESC).
wait for 5 seconds, there will be two beeps.
Move the throttle stick backwards to its lowest place.
There will be two more beeps. The power system will now work with the brake on, or as the instructions put it:
And move throttle down to the lowest, ESC will have a beep indicating prop brake off and now the ESC is activiated (sic) to motive the prop.

Good Luck!

• 3 months later...
Well since I started this thread.....I've actually gone out and got one, maiden yesterday and used 2 packs, with 4 more packs today and wow very impressed to say the least !

Nice touches like velcro already in place in the fuz and extra supplied to fit on your batteries easy to put together and if your Tx has the V tail option like my Futaba 7C does easy to setup on radio too. Today after getting more used to it I hand launched it and then pulled straight up vertically ! Next flight another club member held it at 45 deg and just let go as I put on full throttle again pulling vertical !

Very impressed so far, and after putting on the Esc brake it glided longer and faster and makes a nice whistling sound as it passes you in a dive !

Only negative so far was applying those stickers that seems to be a triat of ST models (see my MX2 assembly thread) - I stuck my own high vis red stripes on the underside of the wing but it did'nt help much seeing those slim wings way up after a step climb out !

Looking forward to my next outing on Thursday ! Need to get some 30C batteries if the ESC rating will handle them?

Iawnski,
Following your demonstration of the Blaze on the Orme at our Xmas fly in I bought one and it is a brilliant model for the money, or just a brilliant model.
Now you should have asked me how to brake the motor, it is one of the few things I actually know how to do!!!!!!!,
My big chance to impress and you did not ask, Gutted,
John B

Posted by Delta Whiskey on 22/03/2011 22:10:08:
Only negative so far was applying those stickers that seems to be a triat of ST models (see my MX2 assembly thread)...................

ST Model's decals are fine if once you've applied them they're sealed into place with a covering iron on low heat (with a cotton sole cover). I've used this technique on many foam planes and have never had any decals come prematurely unstuck (I have an MX2 too). The warm iron technique also works extremely well with 'Fablon'.

• 4 weeks later...