Which Sim

Phil May

Hi Guy's  and Gals.
    I  wish to buy a new flight sim, and could do with some advice please.I have out grown my Plane master. Not so interested in Hel,i mainly fixed wing.
  This is the spec of my Pc ( I do not know much about pc's     )
   Celeron (R) CPU, 220GHz, 512mb of Ram
I am looking for something fairly realistic, I have the Plane master tranny to use and also a spare 35 meg Futaba 6ex if required. Hoping not to spend over £100.
Am I likely to get anything half decent for my money and my pc spec.
   Many thanks
                           B.P 

Advert

I agree the Phoenix Sim is brilliant and certainly helps you keep you hand in when the weathers not great or when you've not flown for a few weeks to just get your eye back in...i like the way you can dial in cross wind gusts of varying strength,direction and regularity so you never know whats gonna be thrown at you on an approach. As for how much like th real thing it is...i'd say its as good as it gets.

Thanks guys, I did look at the Phoenix after I placed the post. cheers Steve, I'll take you up on that offer when convenient with you.
                                 Thanks
                                            B.P 

Another vote for Phoenix. Good price, free updates, plenty of flying sites, wide variety of models, excellent graphics, good weather simulation.

Realistic? Well none of them are perfect but, as Shuglu says, Phoenix is as good, in terms of realism of graphics and "feel", as any of the others and probably better than most. I've been using it for over 18 months now and still practice regularly on it.

One thing I would suggest, if you don't already have one, get yourself a cheap 35MHz Tx you can dedicate to the sim. Ebay is a good source for cheap TX's. It doesn't need "bells and whistles" you can always add expo and mixing on Phoenix if the TX does have them. For example I use an old Futaba Skysport 6 - dead cheap and there's nearly always one available on Ebay. The point is I've seen more than one high quality Tx ruined by damage to the circuit board done by constantly plugging and unplugging into the trainer socket. If you have a cheap Tx you can dedicate to the sim then you can leave the umbilical part of the lead perminantly plugged in the back of it. £20 spent now on that might save you junking a £300+ Tx in 6 months! Also means the family can "have a go" without you getting precious about your Trannie

BEB

BEB

• 1 month later...
Hi there,
This is my first post ,
Totally new to R/C
I recently contacted a friend who has flown R/C planes and Heli,s for 30 years, and was invited to go along to his club meet yesterday/ Sunday
He was brave enough to let me take control of his plane for a few minutes whilst it was high in the sky,I flew in circles, figure 8,s and even did a couple of loops !
He said I did very well and seem to have grasped the basics very well,"a natural ",he said
( I suppose he would say that to be polite )
But it,s given me the desire to have a go and see if I can become a solo flyer,
I was wondering about the simulators and found this thread ,
I have a PC on Windows 9.1 would this Phoenix system be any use to me ?
I want to try to learn to use the TX instinctively ( wow I,m getting the technical jargon thing too !)

Cheers Noel