Decisions - Blaze or Blizzard?

matt mason

Advert

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 11/08/2010 08:26:57:
I've just given in to temptation and bought myself one, not flown yet but good first impressions, is everyone finding the ESC behaving ok? 

You won't be disappointed, it's a brilliant motor glider.
 I have to admit that my ESC was DOA so as I had a spare 40A ESC in my box I fitted that instead of going through the bother of claiming for a new one. Also, I paid less than £100 for mine so I wasn't too fussed. Both my lad's ESC's are still working OK on their Blazes.

I just had another great day with the Blaze. I really have no regrets about purchasing this plane and the more I fly it, the more I like it. At first I thought it was a bit tame, but having got more familliar with the Blaze I'm finding out just how far the airframe can be pushed without any nasty surprises. It may not be a hotliner, but it's certainly very entertaining and nice to fly.
 I defy anyone to find a better performing or handling motor glider for the money (£99.99 from Inwood Models).

I flew the blaze from the flat yesterday and managed to find some high level lift.  I had over an hour on one 2200 lipo, some tearing about at low level and some stooging around at a few hundred feet just below the clouds.  Superb machine.  Over an hour!  Brilliant.  Loops and rolls at hundreds of feet up and never so much as a wing flex!

Then today I took it to a slope and flew it (theres a vid I hope to put up soon) and i have to say its pretty good in a blow.  Penetration suffers a bit from the drag, its not a blisteringly fast machine -  and it could do with some ballast, but I didnt give it any.

Anyway, one one landing it turned over and one of the tail plane tips broke off -  they are paper thin.  I have formed the opinion that its a fabulous model off the flat and possibly gentle slopes, but of anything rough or in a good blow, its likely to be too delicate.  Having said that I did soar it up to almost OOS and then dive vertically down till I chickened out.  The elevators JUST pulled me out prior to the ground but those wings never even creaked!  Lovely!!

nevertheless, as a model in its own right it is one of the best I have owned for many years -  its is superb and at a fraction of the cost of a Blizzard.  If I have one niggle its that it is easy to lose sight of it when directly facing to or away from it agains clouds!  Its thin!!

David 

First 4 flights with mine today, very nice. not as fast as a 'Tuning' Blizzard but slippery enough. Little I can add to what's been said here already although it's quite precise in the point rolls where the rudder is better than expected. Flew in 10mph winds and didn't bat an eyelid. Got around 10 mins per 2200mAh pack on mixed throttle aeros.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 22/08/2010 14:19:51:
......... Got around 10 mins per 2200mAh pack on mixed throttle aeros.

Only 10 mins? I take it your were using mainly full throttle for your aerobatics?  To date I haven't achieved less than 15 mins of mixed throttle aerobatic flying off the flat with an Overlander 2200mAh 3s battery. Off the slope it's a whole new ball game of course!

In standard trim (10" x 6" prop) the statically measured current draw settled at 23.4A after about 15 seconds which equates to roughly 250 Watts (in).  I have since fitted an Aeronaut 10" x 7" Cam Carbon prop with the Multiplex Blizzard's spinner assembly and it has transformed the Blaze's performance. It now draws 34.2A statically for a power of approximately 366W (in). It will now go truely vertical from launch and I still get well over 10 mins of intense aerobatics with this setup. Maybe you have a duff battery David?
BTW, how do you achieve your figures? They don't add up.

Edited By Gumball on 25/08/2010 15:02:07

David,  even if you multiply the 26A you're achieving by an optomistic 11.1V, that still only equals 288.6 Watts (in) To achieve your figure of 320 Watts ('in' I assume?) the battery would have to deliver a constant 12.3 Volts. I'm confused as I've never yet managed to get a 3s LiPo to deliver a constant voltage over 12V.

Posted by Gumball on 25/08/2010 15:12:58:
Posted by Lee Smalley on 25/08/2010 15:06:16:
how do you get 34 amp draw for 10 mins on 2200 pack?

As the Blaze is a motor glider I only use the power for climbing and the occasional burst of power during some aerobatic manoeuvres.

Calm down you men

I was flying the model in a sport aerobatic fashion much like a power model (although not constant full chat) not climb and glide/dive, for sure endurance will be better like that as you've proved.

I was going on memory for the current draw this morning but I've just got home and checked my notes and it's 26amps and 300 watts - sincere apologies for the confusion chaps, whatever, I think we're agreed it's a good little model.  

Something the other day made me realise that throttle use can be a very individual thing. If you've ever used telemetry to see real-time current draw then you'll know how those mA can disappear at a frightening rate. I use the Jeti system and it's interesting to see how current draw varies whether in level flight or inclined, whether fighting a wind or not.

I took the Sebach 342 over to Mike Williams to fly a few months ago and was amazed at how much flying time he got from the pack. He was flying in a 3D fashion and blipping the throttle much more than I would and really extending duration into the bargain.

It certainly made me realise and think about my own throttle use  

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 25/08/2010 16:21:32:
 I think we're agreed it's a good little model.  

I think for the money it's an outstanding model, especially compared to the Blizzard which needs a fair bit of building and is more expensive to get in the air, although I'm at a loss as to why ST Model sell the glider only version because the glider nose and tow release are included in the leccy version.
 One other mod I've done in conjunction with changing the prop blades is to cut those thin bendy wing and tail tips back by a small amount. This then leaves a thicker section which is more resistant to hangar rash etc. and it doesn't seem to have affected the flight envelope at all.