Decisions - Blaze or Blizzard?

matt mason

last month i bought an easy glider, which i have to say was immensly disappointing.
the motor in he box is extremely under powered.
ailerons are not as good as thought they would be.
anyhow i have been looking at the mx blizzard and the st blaze and was thinking of giving one of these ago. anyone have any experience of either and is the st worth buying or are the installed servo's and motor too cheap?

thankyou

Edited By matt mason on 29/07/2010 10:04:34

Advert

Matt, I have both the Easy Glider (electric) and the Blizzard (Slope only).
I have no experience of the Blaze.
It really depends what you want to do with them, the Easy Glider and Blizzard are like chalk & cheese. If you want more performance out of the Easy Glider you could change the power set, but then what you will have is a glider that will get up to height in a shorter time. It will never roll quickly because of the size of the wing and it was not designed for that.
The Blizzard can be quite a handful (but it is extremely good as a nearly hotliner) and Multiplex own power set is very expensive.

Richard is correct, the Easy Glider and the Blizzard are completely different aircraft to fly.
One being a glider and the other being a hot liner!

The Blaze looks identical to the Blizzard and I would imagine there is very little difference between them (depending upon power set).

I have a Blizzard with the Multiplex tuning set installed and she is a very slick mover with unlimited vertical. Don't let her get too slow or she will bite you, stall and most probably crash.

The blizzard is for the experienced pilot, she's taught me much.
I made the mistake once of making a full power on dive which led to a speed stall, that the aircraft would not pull out of. Thankfully I got away with it at the very last second.

blizzard is a warm liner at best and me thinks your servos struggled to pull the elevons at that speed never heard of a speed stall in level flight and my blizzard does full power dives no problem (and yes i have the tunning set up) the only problem i have is the wing flutter i now get in full power dives, i never used to get it but i think it comes with age and the foam starts to get a bit soft and flexes more than when new

No, the speed stall was not in level flight, it was in a -90degree dive.
I thought about the servo's not being up to the job too but they are MG and are well over specified for the job.

I've often read people calling the Blizzard a 'warm liner' but have resisted confusing the category by referring to it as a 'hot liner'. I think it only serves to confuse.

What's next 'luke warm' ?

a clubmate has a Blaze, and for the price it is very impressive,  All servos, esc and motor come installed and the finish of the foam is smooth so it looks better if nothing else.  I've not seen a Blizzard, but the Blaze is very aerobatic, and I would have thought more than fast enough after an Easyglider.

firstly thankyou for the replies.
i must say not a novice to this hobby.
i bought the easy glider as i just wanted another powered glider. i fly an edge 540 most of the time and have a 3.5 metre L S 3 glider i would very much like to convert to electric motor. i don't have the knowledge to slope this thing and would most likely prang it.

i do like the look of the blizzard its just that the recommended power systems are expensive.i agree its a hotliner from what videos i have seen of it on utube.i just don't want to buy the blaze to be sucked into another plane knock off, main reason why iasked.
i had a mx2 for a while but no where near as impressive as the edge that i have now, which is also electric.
anyway we can forget the easy glider as i put that into a very fast dive from a good altitude today and pulled up(well idid the plane didn't)BANG, CRUNCH AND MANY OTHER INTERESTING SOUNDS... enough said...!!!!

CHEERS MATT

hard lines about the easy glider------the blizzard i fly has a turnigy/250 watt outrunner in that cost me £20.00...the m/g servo's i'm using cost me £9.00 each...matt-get up sharp on fri/sat and wizz down to your LMS......and get a blizzard......check out the post's and build set up thread's and bingo.......one happy matt....

ken anderson...ne...1..

Matt, As some people might know I am a big fan of the Blizzard.
 Please don't think that the foam is the same as the Easy Glider. It is much denser and has a smoother surface finish. It is aso very strong. I have bounced mine off the rocks at The Orme a few times.
Fitting the fibreglass rods is a bit of a pain, but worth it in the end.

so what you saying then chaps?........
.....buy a blizzard then ...?
i may just  do that !!!
i have a box of servosof different sizes and about three speed controllers. so all i need is a motor..

ill have to tell the missus another story about why i need another model....AND WHY SHE DOESN'T NEED MORE CLOTHES...
.. or i can just flannel her with over exagerated complements again..

.IF SHE READS THIS I AM A DEAD MAN!!!!

CHEERS

Edited By matt mason on 29/07/2010 20:18:18

I have had my blizzard for some time now and thrashed the pants off it most consecutive loops out of it on the glide is 42 and its very locked in just don't slow it up too much, it does not retain the speed like a true hotliner, if fact it bleeds off very quickly but it is a great smooth aerobatic machine yes the kits costs a bit but you dont have to buy the multiplex setup (although it is great despite the price) as for the build,  when you come to do the fiberglass rods (the thin re-inforcing ones) can i suggest an easier method measure and cut rod to length, trial fit tack one end down with thin cyno, press down tack middle and then end with thin cyno and when happy the rod is flush down then fill rest of recess with thin or medium, and spray with kicker  much less mess

I've had both the Blizzard and the Blaze and both have their merits and faults. The Blizzard has a slightly tougher airframe and a higher wing loading meaning a faster flight envelope, though beware of aileron flutter at extreme speeds.
 The Blaze's wings can be made to break down into two halves for transportation along with a removeable tail, and the servos can be easily removed for replacement if neccessary, but beware of soft elevator response at high speeds.
 IMHO the Blaze is the better looking and sweeter flying of the two, is better value for money, and is easier and quicker to get in the air. Also, if the Blizzard's spinner assembly is fitted to the Blaze, it matches the colour of the decals perfectly and provides additional cooling to the motor.

Hi

Have to admit that my tips where slightly warped out of the box, a bit of glass weave tape and white parcel tape and they look good as new - wished I'd used orange tape to see the plane more clearly in flight 

Also the ESC gets HOT, think it is the BEC side of thing that is causing it - have a spare E-flite 30amp Switched bec,  from an old Parkzone plane, that I'll try - well if I can find the soldering iron, need to change the connector to a deans.

But it is a great airframe - I have a blizzard that is still in the box awaiting the time to build, ill health and a lack of free time is stopping me, it is why I got the Blaze - Ready built. 

I have flown the blizzard of another club mates, and it is fast enough on the tuning power set, but for an all ready to go option (just add your tx) the Blaze is the one I'm considering, but although it's often called a warmliner rather than a hotliner as is the blizzard, the blaze is capable of going vertical I'm told from an owner whose just got one, from a hand launch which sounds great to me for just over a 100 quid.

I have the same manufactures (ST Model's ) MX2 and am pleased with that too !