DLE 55 Mounting

Dusty

Hi guys,

Replaced my Yak 54 for a 2.22m Yak 55 with a DLE 55. However I am concerned about the long stand off mounts supplied with the engine and vibration. I have been breaking the engine in on 30:1 with a 22x8 Menz 2 blade on the ground, approx 1hr 20 running time so time to take to the sky but seems to vibrate  quite abit (other petrol heads mentioned this and said to shorten the mounts) nice one but its a rear mounted carb!

Ideas?

Advert

here is how the engine is mounted, obviosly all the cables etc and neatly tie rapped etc etc. took these whilst fitting the engine!

The firewall is all glassed and the pipe held in the brackets with silicone

With the supplied standoffs a perfect fit. The baffles are homemade carbon resin plates

Taxi tests

Edited By Dusty on 03/08/2010 20:55:40

Thanks mate thats helpful, would have to scrap the current extensions and customize something like yours possibly at a later date but just to get some flying time in I am sure all will be fine as is as you say! I wont rag the yak to hard (tempting as it will be) for the first few flights just to get the engine nice and smooth!

The power from this engine is stupid on this model with the pipe, I gotto prop up to a 23x8 as the 22x8 was hitting 8200rpm on the high end! Suspect most vibes will be in the low idle rpm and high end with a unballanced props, engine stress etc?

Will let you know how it goes

• 3 months later...
Hello Dusty. I have used a couple of dl 50's with the supplied stand offs with no problems . The main cause of vibration has been the prop. Unless you are extremly lucky even  the best props still need final balancing and some of them are really hard to balance due to  variations in the grain. If you use a spinner then check the balance as the ali ones are usually out of balance  Petrol engines do use comercial internals and again unless you are very lucky will have some vibration in use.
Regards