Setting up on mode 4

Garry Pollard

Hi Lads
Been off the forum for a while due to health reasons, but have a problem which I wonder can anyone help me with.
I fly Mode 4 with a Spektrum DX7 and have flown this mode for 35 ish yrs. This means that I have rudder in aileron output and aileron in rudder outlet on RX
My problen is i want to use ailerons as flaps ie flaperons, but the manual only gives instuctions for mode 2 naturally. Can a DX7 be programmed as I want it to work, and if so how, in very plain english
Regards
Garry

Advert

Frank
That is a way That hadnt occured to me, thanks
Partly right Stephen. I am self taught, and started on rudder and elevator on r/h stick and throttle on left. When I then went to aileron control I just stuck it on the spare channel that is l/h stick. No one to tell me any different unfortunatly. Mind you propotunal control is better than galloping ghost or single channel that hardly ever worked after bthe first command
Garry

I set all my m odels up with aileron rudder mix.This is because I oversteer on the ground with lefthand  rudder but Im fine with 40% rudder on my right hand.The last thing I do before opening the throttle is give small up elevator and small right rudder.I then know my model on take off will go up an right.The moment it does take off I straighten up.Because it always goes the same way on take off,its becoming natural to compensate the moment ite in the air.My insructor frowns at me but I was shown by another club member who does the same and \ive been confident with my take offs ever since.I dont think its unfortunate you fly mode 4 i think its whatever comes naturally and what your comfortable with  SSG

Hi Garry and welcome back.

You say that you have aileron in the rudder output.

Does this mean that you have only one servo for ailerons, or are you using two separate servos with a y-lead?

For flaperons, you need two separate servos each connected to a separate channel.

If you have this, then there is a possibility of doing what you want using programmable mixes.

Please provide a bit more info as to your set up and I will do my best to help.

Hi Peewhit
Thanks for the welcome back.
Sorry I didnt give you full info. Yes I am using a seperate servo for each aileron joined with a Y lead into the rudder output on RX. I once tried with just one servo for over an hour until I realised it dont work with one. Must be my age. Rudder is just on one servo plugged into aileron socket on RX. Hope this maks things a little clearer, and thanks in advance for taking the time to try and solve my prob
Garry

Hi Garry,

Sorry I have taken so long to get back to you but have been away for a few days.

You will need your ailerons on separate channels, and I would suggest rudder and gear.

First disable the gear switch by setting the gear servo travel to 0% with the gear switch in BOTH positions. Then, an accidental flick of the gear switch will do nothing.

Get rid of that y-lead  and plug one aileron into rudder and one into gear.

Set up a programmable mix with rudder master to gear slave using PMIX number 1,2,3 or 4. Do NOT use 5 or 6 as this will cause problems later on.
The rates for this need to be 100%, 100% or more likely -100%, -100% to get the ailerons moving in opposite directions. You will have to try it and see.

Assuming that you want the three position flap switch to activate your spoilerons:-

Go into the FLAP SYS menu and set the NORM and MID flap settings to 0% - note that the default for the NORM position is 100%.

Time for two more programmable mixes to get those ailerons to act as spoilerons.
 Use two of the remaining from PMIX 1,2,3 or 4.
Set one as flap master to rudder slave and the other as flap master to gear slave.
Both rates probably 100%, 100%, but one may need to be a minus.

Then flick that flap switch to the top position and hopefully watch both ailerons move up.

Go back into FLAP SYS and set the LAND percentage to give the required amount of spoileron up movement. Note that you can also set any necessary elevator compensation here.-.usually a trial and error thing.

Simples, eek!

Let me know how it goes.