Art Tech Alpha Jet

cagey

Funny how all the posts on this model in various Forums all stop, other than basically chat.........way before the plane is fully explored or info passed IMO. So, comments on various issues from various places...........

Re: CG being "wrong", It comes with flaps moulded in, even including the snake tubes (covered). Obviously therefore at least originally designed for them. Now with no snakes/horns/servo, this surely would affect out the box static CG position.

Re: ESC failures/overheating, there is a cooling hole inside, the ESC fitting in with the heatsink side downwards, however, it's far too short standard to allow the incoming ducted air flow over all the sink.

Re: Trim issues/sudden roll induced crashes - mine came with the starboard flap minimally "down", as the inner edge of the narrow "cut away to use" thinner moulded join area was split. Easily missed esp if yours does not inherently "deploy". With the short span, it won't take much to create a big roll change. This might happen later to YOU in flight.

Have just returned from flying mine for the first time.

Mine is bog std with a FRSky FASST Rx in the tail just in front of the elevator servo, left as was.

NO lead added at all, CG just as it finished up with a Tipple 2300 3S 30c.

It was pulsing low base speed but VERY gusty and variable, sometimes from one way, sometimes from 180 degrees opposed, even a couple of gusts from 180 reversed of the average direction. Tree line upwind creating rotor.

Stood near longish new grass for 20 feet in front and on a lull to about 5mph nose on gave it a really gentle left hand launch at about half throttle, and it nearly made it up and away, cleared the long grass dead straight, so made a landing on the patch beyond, returned, and went for it.

Didn't throw it, started a firm push but the thrust just sucked it out of my hand and off it went.

NO trim adjustment, CG seems quite OK (about 10mm forward of forward point stated in destructions). Maxed throws kept just shy of lockout buzzing, with 30% Expo.

Noticed a couple of brief and totally unconcerning shimmies at max speed which I think are crosswind/anhedral induced.

Kept first landing under some power to just before touch down and it touch and go'd one hop before sliding to a halt.

SUPERB !!!!!! (And for EDF VERY quiet !!!!)

Mine weighs 514g and 677g with battery flight ready

• 7 months later...
Just back form a great mornings flying with the AlphaJet, I just love this model and speed is quite something! Keeps me on my toes! , handy size for the car, easy to repair, only had one mishap so far, after a launch by me, Not chucking hard enough seemed to be the lesson learnt. I have to rate this model at 8/10 ..........,just love it!

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

I have just received my Art Tech Alpha and went to put it together yesterday however the nylon screws which hold the wing on are too short to reach the mountings in the fuselage.

I wondered if anyone else had encountered this problem and I was just missing something obvious. Otherwise I'll have to buy some longer screws.

Cheers

One thing to consider first, is the wing seated correctly in position before inserting the screws? With mine I found that to fit the rx I had to remove some foam to seat the rx in position. May be the rx is stopping the wing seating correctly. Its very tight in the fuselage with the esc, rx and the servo leads.

Just a thought.

Posted by Stuart Hickson on 18/08/2012 19:47:28:

Hi all,

I have just received my Art Tech Alpha and went to put it together yesterday however the nylon screws which hold the wing on are too short to reach the mountings in the fuselage.

I wondered if anyone else had encountered this problem and I was just missing something obvious. Otherwise I'll have to buy some longer screws.

Cheers

No!

(and my Rx is in the rear lower hatch)

Cheers,

Mine is the ARTF so rx, esc etc all fitted in place, but you are right, with the wiring it is very tight in there.

The lower side of the wing is butting up against the fuselage so it is fully in place but the screws are still several mm away from reaching the mountings. I thought about shaving off some of the styrene but dont really want to be messing with that on a model that is supposed to be RTF.

Posted by cagey on 18/08/2012 22:34:35:

Hi Dave, Just out of interest are the fan hatch screws any longer ? Though all four screws on mine are the same length, the lower hatch ones are at least 15mm too long. Maybe that simple dude.

yes Ha, I did think about removing them too see if they had been fitted wrong. Will have a look but suspect they are the same ones.

• 2 months later...

Lost all the blades today, nice loud bang and swift back to earth safely. Now I need to replace the fan or whole unit whichever is available.

Anyone have a clue as to where these are in stock ? Tried Century UK but no go there.

Alternatively would any 64mm or 2.5" fan be suitable ?

Hoping someone out there's got the info I need. Cheers, cagey.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 15/11/2012 14:17:00

Hi Yakmad, Just a little update on that, gave the Alpha a wee thrash this a'trnoon & the Robotbirds impeller is of a softish bendy plastic material, perfectly balanced by the way, but as the blades flex then you lose a fair bit of thrust so top rate howling about ain't as good. Wheelspin Models do have most of the Alpha spares, but waiting on the fan bits, they're about £12 for the whole unit less motor. Nice to know someone reads me posts.wink 2

Dammit, don't want to be doing this again, but I must as I can't find out how to amend a submitted post retrospectively when you realise later on that you'ce cocked up.

The supplier of Alpha jet spares is not Wheelspin as suggested, but Century UK.