Parkzone Extra 300 chat

David Ashby - Moderator

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Rich, what size tires do you have on your plane? Do you have jsut the stock ones on? Maybe you hve a better place to fly than me. I have grass and hoping the big foam tires work, think they will.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 12/06/2013 07:59:12

Hi everyone! I have the Parkzone Extra 300. Wow, it’s going to be a fun plane. But if I can’t land it, that’s a problem. Went out and got some foam wheels, 3 ¼ inch. The plane still wants to flip over and it’s hard on the stabilizer. I’m landing in grass in the outfield of a baseball field. Not real tall grass but It’s just not working out. Dialed in some flaperons but still not able to slow it down enough for landings. Anyone out there that has the answer? Just ordered some larger wheels (4 ½ inch) but not sure if this is going to work or not. Thanks! Pete

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 12/06/2013 07:55:42

Hi Ross. Well, the problem is really both. I think with a little more practice I will be able to slow it down more on the landings but it comes in rocket fast for me. But the grass is really the main problem. Even with full up after touch down it wants to nose over. How about you? Any problems or are you flying on pavement.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 12/06/2013 07:56:02

No, no problems for me at all. I fly on a normal sports pitch/recreational area which granted is quite smooth and has short grass. However, i am able to taxi on it with stock wheels and spats without issues.

I think your grass must be pretty long to warrant 4" wheels! To be honest, im not sure if larger wheels may be having more of a negative impact than a positive one.

One thing though, i am unsure on your experience with model flying but this model does come in faster than others especially if you are just dropping in steep from the downwind leg. Extend the downwind leg further than you normally do and reduce the height gradually which will in turn slow the approach speed. Works a treat for me.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 12/06/2013 07:56:13

Pete, there are already several threads devoted to this model - the largest of which is here. You will find some advice there. I'm afraid that while this is a great model (I have one and I'm a big fan) the ground handling is it one big drawback. I don't think you're going to solve this one. I long ago resorted to hand launching and retrieving mine!

BEB

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 12/06/2013 07:56:36

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Think I just solved my problem landing my Parkzone Extra 300 here at my local park. It’s a baseball field that has plenty of room for flying but with the longer grass it’s not easy landing this craft without flipping it head over heels and damaging my rudder. Maybe a day that’s got a good breeze I can do it but wow, the plane definitely comes in fast. So, I went on line and ordered myself some BIG 4 ½ inch foam wheels and dialed in some good flaperons to slow the plane down and it works great. Adjusted my CG by placing the battery further back and trimmed in a little up to compensate for the extra drag. It’s now a bush flyer! A bush flyer that can do a knife edge. Looks kind of stupid but I’m now able to fly the thing! With all the power the plane has it’s really not a big deal. (JUST BIG TIRES) Make sure you get the foam wheels because they are much lighter. I got the Lite-Flight brand. Take chances everyone!! Pete

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 12/06/2013 07:54:56

• 7 months later...