Parkzone Extra 300 chat

David Ashby - Moderator

You're spot on Bob - folks should not post complete URL's they should use the link function on the toolbar above as you have done. The reason is that sometimes long URL's with no spaces completely mess up the page formating. Now obviously this doesn't always happen - it depends just how long the URL is.

If I find a post like that, and if I have time, I will replace the URL with the proper link and email the poster to ask them to do the same in future. But on occassion, if I'm the only mod on line and the forum is busy with lots of new posts, there simply isn't time and so if the page isn't broken we leave it. I know this is an issue that particularly winds Tim up and since becoming a mod I can see why - you can spend an awful lot of time going round putting this right.

But I'm glad you brought the matter up Bob - maybe some of those folks who do just post the URL will read this and take note . They are playing with fire because sooner or later they will mess up a page and then us mods will not be best pleased because we have the job of fixing it again!

BEB

Advert

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Maidened mine yesterday. I had read David's coments about adding downthrust but as build can vary from plane to plane, I decided to try it out of the box apart from ensuring that the control surfaces were ok. Any way off it went and the moment I went to full power it stood on its tail and went vertical . after a quick return to earth on low throttle I packed it up and took it home for some adjustment. Today I have added 3 washers to give down thrust. now I await a decent day to try again.

Mine is now 18 months of hard flying on and still going strong. Because it so convient and fits fully rigged in the back of the car its probably my most flown model and has had literally hundreds of flights - many of them a quick blast on the way home from work!

Its a bit battered now - some hangar rash and a few very hard crashes! Its the sort of model that really encourages you to push the outside of the envelop - and sometimes it doesn't quite come off - through no fault of the model I hasten to add embarrassed. But if you crash it then its easy to repair and before you know it its back in the air again. I've lost count of the number of clubmates that have asked me "is that the same one?". Well, yeap, it is!

Once you get it sorted Alan you'll love it - lots of power, 10/10 for fun potential. A great little model.

BEB

Maidened mine today after a couple of months as a wall decoration (well I have been away and the weather not good)

It was a bit gusty and turbulent and it was a short exciting flight. One of those times when the untrimmed roll rate is so high there is no way to move your thumb off the stick.

So I need a new wing, not broken cleanly unfortunately but shredded through a standing crop of barley.

The spares situation for this model looks very good fortunately.

Nexr flight with a different model, broke that too.

One of those days.

A lad at our club has had one of these for quite a while and flies it with the wings turned upside down. He is a fast fingered so and so and really throws it about without any problem but I cannot comment other than that.

As to downthrust I will ask him next time I see him to give him my read back issues of RCME!

Jon

Posted by Peterpiper on 17/07/2012 16:03:56:

Maidened mine today after a couple of months as a wall decoration (well I have been away and the weather not good)

It was a bit gusty and turbulent and it was a short exciting flight. One of those times when the untrimmed roll rate is so high there is no way to move your thumb off the stick.

So I need a new wing, not broken cleanly unfortunately but shredded through a standing crop of barley.

The spares situation for this model looks very good fortunately.

Nexr flight with a different model, broke that too.

One of those days.

Untrimmed roll rate ? Not sure what you mean but the roll rate is determined by the control throws, which are mentioned in the manual. This model's had a fair bit of fuss surrounding it, the control throws being one of the issues. Then, there's the battery position, the wing shape and the loose wheel pants. If you've not already done so, you ought to go to the PZ site and read up on those issues.

I bought one of the first ones. I was impressed by the power system but not by the way you could see it start to wobble as the airspeed dropped off. I must have been the first guy to see a wheel pant come off after only the first or second flight.

Well I've had mine over 18 months of very hard use, I've never had to put the wings on upside down, it still has both wheel pants fully intact and the throws are as per the manual. And I think it flies fine!

Sure it not so good slow speed - but what do you expect? Show me a mid-wing aerobat that is good at low speed? They're all fine until they "let go" and it's instant stall time. Its the nature of the beast. It's not meant for the faint of heart! wink 2 But it is very repairable.

Mine does have some additional downthrust admitedly. I've also found it surprising steady and flyable in quite windy conditions that would ground many another foamie.

BEB

Second flight yesterday, after building in some down thrust. Apart from trimming in some up elevator it was most successful. Quick and agile, it maintains a good airspeed at just over half throttle and lands nicely. Three very successful flights in all. I'm hooked. smileysmileysmiley

It would be interesting to find out how much downthrust folks are building in to see if it is about the same amount.

Edited By Alan Randall on 22/07/2012 20:01:38

• 2 months later...

Totally agree Alan. All through the "summer" months I leave mine in the boot of the car. Stick the Tranny and a couple of batteries in as I leave for work and I'm guarenteed 1/2 an hours fun on the when home! Excellent model in my view. I even took mine on holiday with me this year! Here it is in sunny Scotland!

summer 2012 flying 1.jpg

BEB

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I've been flying a funcub in the field behind my house for about 6 months, which has been great as the clown wheels and springy undercarriage handle the rough ground very well.

However the time has come to move on and I'm looking at the parkzone extra 300. My question is, would it completely mess the flying characteristics up of the plane if I were to put funcub wheels on. I know it wouldn't be the prettiest to say the least, but if it means I can land it in the field then it's worth it in my book.

Also there seem to be no pnp available - anyone know when a new batch is arriving?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 12/06/2013 07:58:11

Hi Tom,

I have one of these - and its a great little model - though it will pose a bit more of a flying challenge for you than a FunCub! Bags of power, great flyer - even in the wind, despite its realitvely small size and light weight. The only down side is those wheels! I fly from a pretty good strip - but I still usually hand launch it and almost always have to go and retrieve it off the strip as it won't taxi without turning onto its nose!

So, would the FunCub wheels work? Well you're right about one thing, it would look pretty weird - but then you're used to seeing those funny wheels so maybe it won't bother you so much!

Will it change the way it flies. Well the FunCub wheels are pretty light so I can't see there being much problem in that direction. But they will also add a lot of drag low down below the centreline - thus probably lowering the centre of drag somwhat. Now normally that might be a bit of an issue, but many people have added down thrust to the PZ Extra 300 because they feel it needs it - indeed mine has a couple of washers behind the upper motor mounts for exactly that purpose. So, if you are lucky, adding the FunCub wheels might just pull the centre of drag down enough not to need the downthrust!smile

The only way to know is of course to try it!

BEB

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 12/06/2013 07:58:22

Hi BEB,

Thanks for your thoughts, very useful. I'm not to fussed about appearance as I fly on my own, do you think the fuselage will need some bulking up to deal with wheels? You catch the odd bit of grass with funcub but its stood up very well on that model.

I think in terms of ability I should be fine. I bought a polecat and love flying that although its a bit hairy in the wind!

Tom

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 12/06/2013 07:58:33

Hi Tom,

the undercart itself is quite strong. It clips into a plastic housing and looks like it will just "clip out" the first time you have a firm landing! But not so. It holds fine.

The problem comes where the plastic housing is glued to the foam - if you really "ram one in" on landing then the whole plastic housing, with the undercarriage, will break away - ask me how I know embarrassed. But as I say you really have to have a "heavy one" to make that happen! So my guess is you'll be OK.

BEB

PS BTW the model is fantastically repairable - so if the housing does come out - you just glue it back in again! Mine's had all sorts of prangs because I just love throwing it about and sometimes get a little "over enthusiastic" about it - like the case of the "spin 'till you die" competition I did with it - and left it just a little late to pull out! Its still going strong though, despite my abuse.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 12/06/2013 07:58:54

• 4 months later...

Just found this thread. I have totalled two Extras in quick succession (started a thread on the subject) and wondered whether this would be a good introduction to Extras? I would be interested in your thoughts. I have been flying over 30 yrs on and off, can do basic aeros - just got bitten twice on landing by the Extras!! This model seems pretty tough - Rich

Hi Rich,

as you'll see I'm quite a fan of this model. Its not any easier, or more difficult, to fly than most Extras I would say in my experience. It will still bite on landing if you get it too slow and the stall is quite abrupt - as it is other Extras. So, an "easy option" it is not.

But, on the plus side, it is very robust and repairable! I tend to really push things very hard with this model and have "come unstuck" on more than one occasion. But it all goes back together and lives to fly another day! Its possibly indestructible! I once spun mine straight into the ground (some people will go any lengths to win the "spin till you die" competition at the fun fly!) and the next day it was back in the air seemingly none the worse for its experience.

So from that point of view I could recommend it to you - you can make your mistakes on this, go through the learning curve - and then move on to something bigger.

BEB

PS It handles the wind very well too!

Hi BEB, yes, thats it, i want the characteristics of the Extra in a (fairly cheap, and uses batteries I already have) robust package that can take some knocks. That way I can get some experience before moving on to another, bigger, balsa version - I couldn't take another write off !!! This sounds perfect for what I want. Thanks Rich

Edited By Dickster on 07/05/2013 19:52:52

There are two in our club, by Parkzone.

Both modellers swear by them, seemingly very tolerant compared to many other similar models.

I have considered on myself, they are good enough, that a flying numpty can fly one successfully.smiley