ESC problem

ericrw

I have just, inadvertently connected the battery cables wrong way round, which resulted in smoke;within seconds I pulled the cables apart.   I then connected them correctly and the ailerons started moving erratically even though the transmitter was not switched on.   I then swiched on the transmitter and the ailerons had calmed down and appeared to be working correctly but when I worked the throttle switch there was no response from the motor.   Then everything stopped working.    I tried rebinding to see if that would solve the problem, I got the ticking noise when I began the binding but there was no flashing light from the receiver, there was no resonse from the receiver at all.   So have I got a duff receiver or a duff esc?  The esc and the receiver shows no sign of being burnt, either by smell or colour.   Is there away of checking these individual components to see if they are damaged or not .   One thing I have noticed is that when I normally connect battery cables I usually get a spark on connecting the last of the two cables.    Though the battery is charged there is no spark, which leaves me to think the problem lies with th esc.     Help!!   Eric.

Advert

I suspect you have blown one of the FETS in the ESC, especially if there was smoke !

Just thought about it again Eric, might be worth changing the way you use your connectors so you can't get them round the wrong way. An ESC is bad enough, having a pack go bang would be much much more serious !
Ed

Edited By Ed Darter on 23/08/2010 13:03:04

You can change them, but there are a lot of 'ifs' involved :

identifying its really the FET thats gone
getting an exact replacement
being able to solder small surface mount components without doing any more damage

I did it on a Picoboard for my Picolo heli a few years ago, but it was that or over £100 for a new board (at the time). With the cost of ESC's these days I suspect its just as easy / cheap to buy a new one.