New nano tech HK batteries

Tim Mackey

Just received my big parcel from Hobby King which includes the new generation nano-tech batteries. I bought 12 in all, assorted sizes and cell counts for various projects and they all share similar features, namely 5C charge rate, and up to 50C discharge. Amongst the selection I included 1 few off the 3s 2650mahr packs which I will be trying as an alternative to the 2200 packs I run in the Rippy Spit, and Alienator to name but two. I was surprised ( but pleased ) to see that these packs are very slim compared to the "normal" Tipple packs etc. Although slightly wider, this could make fitting them in certain models a doddle - and only 24 grams heavier than 2200 ma packs.

Advert

Posted by Chris Card - Moderator on 26/08/2010 17:37:08:
Looks promising Tim, please let us know if they live up to the marketing talk as I have to say I've found Hobbyking a little, umm, optimistic, with some of their descriptions in the past.

I must admit I didn't think they've been too bad, I've got some Rhino and Turnigy cells which are over two years old and I'm still running them to about 90% capacity on my timer with no problems. I must admit that I don't run them at over 10C though.

I have a couple Nano's now and I am very happy with them. Must faster charging means shorter breaks. I am not using their max discharge, I am only flying park flyers, so can't comment on that.

Have tried two packs - 1800 ma tonight  in the dogfish ( see here ) and one in the rippy spit ( 2650 ma ) yesterday . Both performed very  well, I could definitely feel the difference in the Spitfire - more punch as the packs are obviously holding voltage very well under load.
Will do some wattmeter readings and post again.

I will be following this thread with intrest .

I have bought a couple of 3cell 25C 2650ma packs and a 6 cell 25C 4500ma pack . Have not recieved them yet as I also ordered some out of stock wooden E props .  I hope they live up to the hype .

I will be charging the big one at 2C so hopeing for 30-40 minute charging times (I have a 250 watt charger).

Hi Tim,
Good to see you yesterday.
On the subject of new LiPo's I read somewhere that to get the best from a LiPo you should charge and discharge them very slowly a couple of times before first use. Is this something you do or do you do what most of do - charge it and go flying...?

Appologies for butting in , it depends on how you use them . I tend to prop for 10-12C as I like flying for at least 8 minutes . But in your case (EDF) i suppose a few gentler discharges would in order . I'd keep to 1C charging for the first 10 charges.

I have a charger which can terminate the charge at 95% of full so I've been charging to 95% and discharging to 15-20% , so far it seems to be working great as I have over 100 charges on some Rhino batterys and they are still as strong as they were when new .

Thats my 10 pence worth

Latest price comparison shows the following:
2650 ma 3s nano tech pack @ 25 -50C discharge and 5c chargeable is £13 from HK
The closest comparison I could find in UK is....
Tipple 2700 ma 20C discharge and 5C charge £23 from GC
Even with HK shipping the nano pack is still a real bargain at almost half the cost surely?

If you want almost the same discharge rate capability, then the UK cost is £28 for 40C

HK cheapest high rate ( 40C ) fast chargeable 2550 3s is..... £16 ( zippy flightmax )   

Seems to me the nano tech are actually cheapest?