The Art-Tech Cessna 182

J Myers III

Advert

I know what you mean about this model. It's nice but small and needs a calm day.

Why do you want to take the electronics out?
Are you going to use them in another model?
Consider that the electronincs are going to be 'budget' at best.

Are you going to continue flying RC?
How about selling the plane on eBay or BMFA Classifieds?
Put the money towards your next plane!

Posted by Allan Bowker on 25/08/2010 13:32:38:
I know what you mean about this model. It's nice but small and needs a calm day.

Why do you want to take the electronics out?
Are you going to use them in another model?
Consider that the electronincs are going to be 'budget' at best.

Are you going to continue flying RC?
How about selling the plane on eBay or BMFA Classifieds?
Put the money towards your next plane!

Im thinking of using the electronics in another plane or selling it.
I'll always be RC flying. But the little cessna isn't  "enough" compared to my piper cub and ripmax 40.

OK, so the next consideration is will the motor and ESC out of your Cessna be suitable for the other plane you have?

It's a bit of a balancing act but you will have to factor in how much you can sell your plane for intact with electronics (£60+ perhaps on eBay?) and how much just the aiframe would fetch (£20 perhaps?)

My initial guess without knowing more details is that you may be better off selling the whole RTF kit and then buying new from somewhere like www.giantcod.co.uk, there are some bargains to be had on there!

In theory, yes, it would be OK, however you have to consider the quality and range of your radio equipment.

I'm guessing your Ripmax 40 is an IC powered aircraft?
It is somewhat bigger and heavier and will do more damage to buildings, cars, people, etc should you lose control in comparison to the little foam Art-tech Cessna.

If you install it spend an hour on the field doing range checks, ensure that the radio is up to the job. Safety is paramount not only to yourself but others around you.
Does your Art-Tech manual give an indication of range?

There are some good budget RC sets out there now (Planet 2.4Ghz) although I would recommend a second hand Spektrum DX6i or DX5e at the very least for the Ripmax 40.

In summary, I personally wouldn't recommend it's installation but in the right environment (ie: the middle of nowhere) where no damage can be done to anything or anyone other than the aircraft, you could give it a go after lots of range testing.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 26/08/2010 13:22:45

It's good to read that you are involved in a club   

Speak to as many people as you can in the club and tell them what you are doing / have done and although you will get lots of opinions (sometimes wildly different opinions!) you can at least make decisions yourself based upon other peoples experiences.

Keep us posted. Good luck!