RBCkits Bristol Beaufighter

Ton van Munsteren

Advert

• 3 weeks later...
Ton,

Your Beau looks great in the air and close up.

Tell me, is that silver soldering you're using to make the undercarriage?
Some of those retract parts look like they must have been made "in place".
If so, how do you get those parts soldered in place without burning the wood?

Koz

Koz,

Thanks for the compliment .

No silver soldering its all done with tin and a soldering iron and that works very nice.

With most of my soldering point I try to have a mechanical fix first and soldeer the parts to hold it there.

That reduces the force on the soldering so there is no silver needed.

Have modified the gear already and am still not satisfied with the result so there will be more mods this winter.

Ton

Posted by mal brewer on 01/10/2010 21:17:02:

Hi Ton, thanks for the link, I will have a go at uploading some pics tomorrow. In answer to your question, the model is built from a plan which was published in 'Scale Models' magazine about 12 years ago, and is still available from RCME plans service. I had a bit of fun moulding the canopies for the cockpit and observers positions. Yes I agree with you about electric power, but I actually like messing about with,dare I say it, 'proper' engines, anyway its nice to live a bit dangerously, don't you think ? I'll try and upload the pics, here's hoping......................Mal.
Hi Mal

I've got the John Deacon Beaufighter as well, originally intended for 2x10FPs but which will be electrified with a couple of 450 sized outrunners. Could I be cheeky and ask if you have still got the mouldings for the cockpit canopy and observers position if you could put up a picture of those as well? The canopy on mine is a bit of a dog's breakfast and I could really do with carving a new plug to make a better job of it.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Beautiful pair of Beaus. I apologise to Ton for mistyping his name in a pm I also suggested to him to do A thread on his mouldings. They are lovely. Re soldering piano wire with soft solder First of all scour/rub with fine sand paper /wet or dry or steel wool. Wool is best as it doesn't leave as many scratches on the steel the idea to clean off any slight corrosion there may be .Next degrease with meths./ thinners / acetone . Next start applying the heat amd get it up to temp. Test by touching the solder to the work until it melts at atouch. Now dip the solder into your flux and apply to the joint keeping the iron in contact all the time. Allow the solder to flow and flood the joint. . While still molten wipe off any excess and smooth the joint. Use dry cotton or other natural fibre cloth.or wooden spatula. BEWAREplastic spatulas or synthetic cloth will melt to the joint.It is worth getting a small plumbers moleskin from the plumbers merchants for this. Also prepare you copper wire by scraping or dissoving off any laquer there may be on it..Even if there is no paint or laquer give it a wipe with the thinners. acetone or meths to degrease it. This should make things easier

Good luck John