Don't just stand there, get one up!

Danny Fenton

Advert

Excellent, what are you putting that in the DB Spit? You should be able to get at least three speakers in that. I have one for my BT Hurricane and one for the BT Mustang. When they arrived I must have spent an hour just listening to the Merlin. Excellent fun

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 02/04/2011 20:30:02

Sorry, 2 speakers via 2x 40W amps, what sort of Db are you talking from your set, I gotto keep under 71db at 25m so prob no need for extra speakers that cant be used unless as weight in the snozzle? Checked the plan and 10s will fit snug in the Db Spit, 12 prob too easily depending on Lipo brand/dimension!

You may need 12S as its a good sized model and you want some duration.

You wont get anywhwere near 71db at 25meters, I will dig out the numbers and let you know.

I have made a very boring video for those that are interested in seeing the glassing process from start to finish. I will upload another to show the peel ply coming off and the reults.

I do warn you its a bit dull and 28 minutes long...........

Cheers
Danny

The other side went better than the first. Those that watched the video and that came out of the boredom induced coma, will remember that I had trouble with the peel ply around the Spits prominent wing fairings. For the other side I used two seperate pieces of peel ply and that worked much better. Finished the rest of the glassing by doing both sides of the fin and the tops of the tailplane. All that remains are the radiators and airscoop to glass, but they aren't made yet.

Soon be in primer

Tally Ho!

Looking good Danny! Keep a eye out for the postman as there is a gift for you enroute! Let me know when it arrives!

I will have a play with the sound system when it arrives, a P-47 might sound like a Spitfire for the flying season but I dont care lol its a good test bed to get used to the system, a great substitute for lead weight!

Thanks for the info on the sound, look forward to your vids, dont rush as you have a lot of things on the go. Once I start my build you should have some paint on your Spit?

Edited By Dusty on 04/04/2011 19:50:42

OOO an early Christmas

I bought the cable that allows the sound module to be re-programed with different sounds from the Benedini website, but you might be wise to just leave as is lol

The TN Spit has an enormous cavity behind the fuel tank that is crying out for a speaker box.........

Cheers
Danny

Looking sweet! I really cant wait for you to complete this model! Off topic but my sound system arrived today, all soldered up and had a quick test after programing the sound card. Yes the Merlin sounds sweet, why did I never get one of these ages ago? Now where to put everything??? LOL

Still sanding and filling............. I have tried some of the red 3M acryl putty that Phil Clark at Fighteraces sells, its nice stuff

Ignore the joint between the tailplane and fus that was an experiment with epoxy and microballoons, wanted to see how easy they sand, might stick with P-38 it sands much easier......

Cheers
Danny

A bit more progress, I applied a coat of filler primer, but to be honest the stuff was thinner than regular grey primer. I was a tad dissaponted shall we say...... Anyway I shot two coats in quick succession to give myself a basis to sand back.
So much for keeping the weight down. I have never used so much primer before, but its all good experience so they say.

Spitty resplendent in its tropical color scheme

Tally Ho!

Hi Phil, I think you are right. You could spend days getting the model perfectly smooth, in fact too smooth. The panel edges were all over the place on a wartime Spit.
I will deal with the small dings and then give it a light coat of grey primer before adding panel lines etc....
Cheers
Danny