Tony Nijhuis 1830cm Spitifre

Herri

Advert

Hi Danny,

OK sussed it... stoopid me!.... have been reading your build thread and was amazed at the skills you obviously posses oh but that flight.... least said soonest I guess so I shall leave it at that. My jaw just dropped !
I shall have to plough thro it all... just wonderful stuff but dont think I have that much patience for all the detail.

Cheers

Kit

Oh good glad you got there. The other builders on here are very good so if you need to ask anything fire away. Better still, if you are up to it, start a thread that way I won't upset Herri

And thanks for the kind words on my Spit, i am still not over its demise.

Picture posting is not as straightforward on here as other forums, but I manage it so its not that difficult. The beauty of putting your pictures in the galleries on this site is however that they will remain long after your thread is finished. I don't know about you but I hate looking up how to do something on the wonder web, finding a build blog, and then finding the links to the pictures is broken

Anyway look forward to seeing some pics of yours

Cheers
Danny

Hi Kit,

I have taken a few more shots of my ailerons. As you can see the robart type hinges are central and I have kept an edge of about 4mm on the top so you can’t see the hinges.

You can see on the photo, that the leading edge is shaped and this allows the moment you also see.

>

>

Hope this helps. As Danny says there is a lot on his thread and some others.

I don’t mind you using this thread bty.

I agree it would be good to see your build.

Cheers

Herri

Well the build is back on.

I stopped in May as I couldn’t get the new engine to run properly and although I had tested the air system for the retracts for leaks, when I came to continue – I had a leak!

I had to cut open my nice wing to find it and then I couldn’t get hold of the correct connecters and pipe.

As this part of the build is not my favourite ( I love the balsa bashing but not sanding and painting) I took my 12 year old,never flown Reagle Eagle off the ceiling, bought a new engine for it and had some fun with that.

In the mean time the engine had to be returned to the dealer and it transpired that I had tightened the main jet too hard and broken it.

I got some tube at the LMA show at Cosford so I was all set.

I have now ran the engine successfully and repaired the leak.

I have been looking through Danny’s thread again to give me inspiration.

The wing fairing is done (took me ages) it just needs sanding.

If you notice there is a lot that needs sanding and I have been waiting to do it all in one go.

I have built some cockpit stuff, this needs painting and finishing.

I have test fitted the engine and fitted the cowl. The engine hangs out more than I would have liked but hey, it’s only sport scale and in the air you won’t notice.<

Edited By Herri on 07/12/2011 14:48:57

Hi Herri,

Have started a new thread for mine "Kit's 72" Spit" and thanks very much for the photos...very cunning how you hide the hinges! I also had a look at the wing fairing which I have been dreading doing. Much patience required methinks.

I shall be watching for developments and no doubt pestering the life out of you and Danny en-route

Cheers

Kit

My internet faded
As I couldn’t find any details of Al Deeres aircraft I found this one on the interweb.

Anybody know the definition of this grey? Is it dark or light.

On the subject of painting:

Has anyone got any experience with Flair paints. I would like to use them for two reasons.

1. I would like to brush and not spray.

2. They are much cheaper than Warbirds and seem simpler to use (no mixing of hardeners etc)

Also is the finish fuel proof for petrol ?

Your thoughts and experiences would be welcome.

I have searched the threads but can’t find what I need to know.

So the next job is a big sand, filling and sanding again.

Watch this space.

Cheers

Herri

Hi Herri, my guess would be the grey is medium, the light grey was commonly used for the squadron markings.But that's based on my experience the Warbirds colors three greys. Light, Medium and Dark. Is the underside grey also? A bit difficult to see from this angle.
Not much experience with Flair paint I am afraid.
The Wabird colors is supposed to brush well, but I must confess that I couldn't get a good finish.
Have fun sanding

This is me today.

I originally thought I would go outside but its too cold. I covered my books etc with plastic sheet.

Anyway its almost done now, just filled a couple of bits I’d missed and they can be sanded tomorrow.

Then its glassing.

I will do some research into buying vinyl lettering/roundels this evening as I dont fancy painting them myself..

Any ideas/experience anyone?

Cheers
Herri

hi Herri my post seems to have gone missing, I have used Pyramid for a few models and the product is great, it shrinks a little if you use your film iron which is great for compound curves.
Painting is better though, cheap airbrush and compressor combos are very cheap these days.
Cheers
Danny

Thanks Danny,
What with the masking, finding somewhere warm enough to spray, getting the correct paint etc etc, I'd rather buy decals for this project.
You mention useing your film iron. I thought they were self adhedsive, have I got something wrong. I also see that company sell a pen to stick the edges.
Cheers
Herri

I have finished glassing. Boy did it stink the house out !

Its sanded now and awaiting some primer.
I have started making the wheel wells. I rolled some wet 1/32 balsa around a paint tin and glued it into the wing.

This now needs trimming.
I have ordered my paint and markings so I'm getting there.
Cheers
Herri

• 8 months later...

cimg5159.jpg

Well, I’m back and the Spitfire has flown today – more of that later..

I had some problems last year with the gear which I thought I had fixed.

I also got my Regal Eagle flying and lost interest in my Spit.

I managed to get the rubbing down and priming done in the week before Xmas. I didn’t post as pictures of dusty sheds aren’t really interesting. I made the mistake of not filling the glass matt with a second coat and suffered the consequences of having to use loads of filler. (This may have lead to the weight problems I shall refer to later.

After Xmas I got involved in another none-modeling project which took most of my time until the summer (what summer I hear you cry!)

I then got the Spit painted and when trying the gear out found out it still leaked. I (again) tried to find the leak. I used the tried method with soap suds but apart from a small leak from the valve couldn’t find anything else. I then had to cut some wood away from the wing (for the second time) to get the retract units out. I dipped them into a small container with water but couldn’t find any air bubbles. I assumed the valve was at fault so sent the unit back to Unitracts. I got it back saying they couldn’t really find a leak, other than fitting a new nipple.

I refitted everything and see there – it still leaked. Not a lot but I considered a 10min flight should be the minimum the air should remain sufficient to make the gear work. Back to the drawing board.

I retested everything and could only find some minor air bubbles escaping from the valve. Although Unitracts said this was normal during operation I just couldn’t find anything else. Out of desperation I ordered a Robart valve. It came, I fitted it and guess what – it still leaked. Out with the units again and into water. No leak. I then isolated the one side by clamping the tubes with a small vice and see there no leak. I changed the tubes but no change. I then sent the unit to Unitracts. Tony replied that they did find a leak from the piston, something highly unusual.

I got my unit back, fitted it and hey presto it all works! No leaks.

I ran the engine in the meantime and found out I make a mistake fitting the throttle servo linkage. I failed to get an accurate movement on the quadrant and thought I could adjust it with the computer transmitter. Anyway it works but half throttle on the transmitter is full throttle on the engine. I shall try and fly like that as the alternative is to remove the engine, tank, servos etc to get at the linkage. A winter job I suspect.

After refitting the gear it was time to get the C of G correct. Wow! 1200g weight needed at the nose.

What have I done? I took so much trouble with the tail feathers (see earlier photos) anyway my neighbor helped me out with some lead and a piece of heavy copper.

Although due to the problems I had, I have not fitted gear doors or cannons, ariel etc. The lower wing is still missing a couple of bits where I had to cut the skin to get the gear out. I thought I would fly first and then, providing it flies well, I can do the rest during the coming winter. I have already started my winter project a bit early; a ¼ scale Avro Avian Monoplane from the Philip Kent drawing.

cimg5165.jpg

cimg5163.jpg

Flying:

Well I took the plunge today. I was as nervous as anything.

Anyway take off was no problem, needed some up to come unstuck. Climbed out well and needed some down trim and left trim.

My pal was trying to get some photos with my digital camera so I did some low passes. Unfortunately the sun was bothering him and we didn’t get the flying shots.

Then something detached itself from the aircraft and fell down to the middle of the field. My pal went to look while I flew around at height. He came back with some lead. I also started to notice the Spit wanting to climb. Ah ah, lost some of the ballast. I decided to land. – Approach, gear down – oh no, only one side. A few circuits with up and down gear commands but no avail. Gear up and belly land. I switched the motor off over the hedge and managed to belly with only a broken prop.

I have looked at the gear again and decided the units were too close to the wing skin and they were just very tight when retracted. I have now put a spacer between the bearers and the units and they seem to be ok.

The lead I must just fasten it better. I used heavy cable ties on the motor bearers but with hindsight should have taped the lead together and then used smaller cable ties, as they are more flexible.

Mt flying pals think I would be better off with a 17x8 prop, so I will have to go out and buy one.

I hope to get it flyable very soon but the weather for the weekend is looking too windy.

If I get some flying shots I will post them.

I have learnt a lot from this project. One of which is fit the servos, engine and all connections before skinning and make notes/photos so that if the project gets held up you can still see what you have done and why.

Building alongside Danny at the start was an enormous help and that was the enjoyable bit. As you may have noticed I love balsa bashing but hate finishing.

Cheers

Herri

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the promised flying piccies. I tried the other day but the ignition lipo was dead.

The sun was shing today and after forgetting to re-connect the ignition unit I got her started and flew.

spit1.jpg

spit2.jpg

spit3.jpg

I was chuffed with the way she flew. I still need to make some gear doors and alter the throttle servo throws.

The landings ( wheelies) were no problem, although she did tip onto her nose after the second landing run. (must have been a crater in the runway wink)

Cheers

Herri