Tony Nijhuis 1830cm Spitifre

Herri

I got my retracts connected ok but had difficulties getting it to work. I was using a bicycle pump whcih just had a push on connector. I couldnt get the system to hold the air (so I thought) so I took it all out again and put it under water to test for leaks.
There were no leaks, so I then took the retracts to the garage and used my compresser to charge the system and hey presto - all is well.

It appears that the bike pump with its push on connector isnt up to the job. I will have to get a proper hand pump with the correct connector.

Dusty, I have looked through my books but there is little on MkIVs. Here is a shot which proves some still had the old tail.

There is one book with a large cut-out drawing but its too large for me to scan.
There is some text about the MkIV which seems to be a MkV with a different engine, which I could scan if you need it.

Santa has brought me a Funcub, which I wanted as a "take on camper van hols" model.
Maybe I'll make a start on that while I get the missing bits together (air pump and long wing bolts)

Cheers
Herri

Advert

Well done Herri, I bought a neat battery driven pump which is great for charging the air tank at the field

similar to this one:

Dusty, the Spitfire MIX b has a rounded fin similar to the previous models Montforton calls this the Standard Chord Rudder. The IXc has the increased area rudder/fin, referred to as the Broad Chord Rudder.

All MkIX have the 45+ 90 elevator as we described and I believe you are doing MK912?

This picture clearly shows the shape.

If you need any other pics let me know as I got the Paul Monforton Spitfire book from the man in the red coat, what a reference book it is

Cheers
Danny

Thanks Danny, I'll have a look at those pumps.
Nice pictures.

I like the Apache. I started messing around with  Sketchup as a CAD alternative but it was so time consuming.

My twin Gemini is my next project after the Spit, Funcub and finishing off the Gilmore.
I must try not to get side tracked again.
Trouble is I have plans for an Ansun, P47 and Messenger.
oops, almost forgot the Typhoon and I do like the Mew Gull.......................................

Cheers
Herri

Hi Vecchio, mine has an upper limit of 180 psi it looks identical to the one in the web shot but mine is green. You wont need more than 80 psi on the Unitracts gear. My Hurricane set will give half a dozen good cycles with just 80 psi. The system should hold pressure over several hours, if yours doesn't then check with soapy water for leaks. The usual culprit is the flaming plastic "T" pieces, though you would never suspect them. I have had several brand new ones leak......

Hi Herri there is something about a GA twin that I find appealing, the Gemini is lovely and Robin Fowler has promised to release drawings for his Percival Q6 Petrel sometime this year. I look forward to that

Cadding eats time like you would not believe, and I really would like to figure out how to go the extra dimension and make my drawings 3D.

Time.... time.... time....

The pictures were really for Dusty, as they are of MK912 the Spifire IXc he is modelling

Cheers
Danny

Thanks guys for the references!

Happy Xmas and New Year too

Right I have made loads of progress, the Spit is now glassed (Pics later)... I made the 45/90 deg mod on the elevator too, fitted the Nav light on the rudder and covered the control surfaces!

Ok Matt the pics are great, why does the TF Spit have the blisters on the cowl which I havent seen on any other Mk 9's? I looked into the idea of making a new one which would be a task on it own and worth while but I will fly first then make a new cowl without the blisters if all is well!

As for air pumps I used a 12v car pump which does the job  on a one way air valve that will accomadate! TBh the air refill valve that came with my retracts worked fine for about 15 fills then the tiny screw came loose and had air leaks! I changed the refill valve for a "cheap as chips" one from Giant Cod and fill the cylinder with a Robart hand pump and it works a treat, no leaks!

If you guys need a pump,go to halfrauds and get a shock pump,they deliver low volume at very high pressure I am sure mine was cheeper though One of there will do the job

Edited By r6dan on 28/12/2010 21:17:41

I am sure there are lots of pumps that will do the job, I am lazy and having had to search for air leaks in the past I prefer 3 seconds of electricity to a  minute or two pumping, everytime I need to recharge, I am lazy
Dusty I have been doing a fair bit of reading on the mkIX and many were modified mkV's the upper cowl changed in shape from the early to the later IX 
If you look at one of the most famous IX's MH434 the cowl top is nearly flat, and it has the rounded narrow chord fin. It also has raised rivets on the fus. MH434 is a converted MkV.
The cowl you have looks more like a cowl for the XVI, which was almost identical to the IX but had a Pakard built Merlin and a more bulbous cowl. It also has the lowered rear fus but otherwise is virtually the same.
The cowl you have is pronounced, not necesarily wrong, but you have to make your own decision. You could sand it away and fill the gap with glass, easier than making a new one.
Cheers
Danny

Ok pics as promised,

Modded elevator balance tabe and rudder, see the tail light!

Kind of looks like a Spitfire now?

Bit of detail with the hatch for the air refill valve.

Made the cannons from some wooden dowl hollowed out, piece of carbon rod to hold them into the wing and easily removable to transport the wing with out breaking the cannons off!

A dry fit

Another one

Wheel wells,

Another angle

Glassed the tail wheel strut.

And a overall view! Still some sanding needed before another coat of primer, many more hours left in this build

Matt you idea with the cowling would be possible but I think fabricating a new one would be better? I suppose this one will do for now!

Dusty, you are getting on well.

Back to the pump. Although I like the electric ones, murphys law dictates that the battery will be flat when I come to need it.

I managed to get an adapter (bike to car valve) at our local halfords today which works. I will probably get the Robart hand pump while I am in the states.

Cheers
Herri

Cheers Danny,

Sorry I called you Matt, lol I was thinking of Matt Halton for some reason lol, must be the fumes!! Blonde day today...

Ya I have looked over these pics all evening and there is so much detail there to work from. I noticed the fabric covering on the control surfaces, assuming a cheaper cost of restoring a aircraft of this nature to CAA flying standards? Defo a Mk IX?

Dusty

Hi Dusty, Don't worry about it, I have been called many things. You should apologise to poor Matt for likening him to me lol. The Spitfires had fabric covered elevators and rudder up until the much later mk's. Even the ailerons were fabric on the first few, but the fabric balooned at high speed and caused heavy controls, so were then metal skinned.

If you can see any raised rivets on the fus then its a V or earlier. Many IX's were converted V's with the cannon wings C and E types. A genuine mk IX fus has no raised rivets, they are all flush (according to the fabulous Monforton book.

BTW the Monforton Spitfire IX book is really slashed in price at the moment if anybody is interested? £215 second hand on Amazon, but Ian Allan is doing new copies for £36)

Cheers
Danny

Thanks Danny,

Much reading to do and so much to learn about this magnificent flying machine lol! Complex in many a way!Cheers for the link I have ordered the book as it will be useful for this project and many more to come I hope. I found the text above the pictures in the link I posted, seems that Spit had a hard round but looks good in it's new atire!

Cheers for the help mate! Right back to sanding.....

Does anybody have list of needed material for building this spitfire?

thank you in advance. 

@Herri, - thank you anyway.

@Steven - simplest  way is to buy kit in RC Shop. Problem is transport (several times I had it received crashed or not usable), problems with big box sending, custom in my country, and also postal in my country. As a result it is best way to make it from scratch.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Dusty and Danny, I may have missed you guys mentioning it,but if either of you are modelling a Mk9 Spit.,in addition to it having a more bulbeous cowl,it was also longer,by about 16". This would translate to about 2 & 3/4" on the Nijhuis model.It would make balancing the model a lot easier,of course,and is one of the reasons that the Mk9 is modelled so often.You may have already stated this,or realised it,but I've not noticed it in your build blogs.Good luck with the builds,you're progressing a lot faster than me..............Mal.

Hi Mal,

I am building the Top Flite Spit and Herry let share progress here as it was all about Spits and Mk IX's.. I Have noticed this longer nose and modified my firewall and cowling to add a extra 1/2" also to help the with the c of g! I think I will need all the weight I can in the nose and the extra leverage will definately help.

Please share some photos of your progress, I feel like a am progressing but when you look at the model it does not seem so, I suppose the finer details and thinking required for the overall finnish?

Dusty