TOP GUN SPITFIRE

Geo.

Advert

• 1 year later...

Hi John .When you say a beginners kit ,do you mean begginer as in flying or building ? If its flying you probably know that a Spitfire is not a googd idea ;if its  building then a spitfire may not be a good idea to start on but try a simpler scale project .If it really must be a Spitfire then try the BMFA classifieds or the classifieds on this RCME site with a wanted add. You didn't memtion how big you wanted to build ? Balsa craft (now extinct)did a spitfire kit about 40 odd inch ,if you can find one. Pilot (also extinct)did a proper builders kit,again about 48 inch, a few years ago but you will probably have to pay a good price for one of those ,quite rare now. Apart from Plans the only "proper kit" I'm aware of thats easily available is the DB Spitfire  for 30cc plus engines. The Top fFight Gold edition kits may include a Spitfire they were about 65 inch span ,but not sure. DONT be tempted to buy a PICA  kit , unless its  a really early one . They were laterly produced in italy and the materials and, well every-thing about the kits are IMHO awful/rubbish. I am half way through a DB Hurricane build for a mate. although the plan shows a Super Tiger 3000/3250  I am fitting a 50cc petrol for reliability . The DB kit is pretty good with the built up wing kit . Prior to that I built a P40 Warhawk from a Pica kit and it was hard work with all the rubbish parts having to be re-made from proper materials. Hope you have luck in finding a project but chat to your club mates before jumping in.

Regards

E.D>

Dear ED

Many thanks for your long reply, all points noted the spits you are talking about with 30cc plus engines sound fantastic.

The more i read and see i believe i will have to settle for something far more sedate as i am a beginner flyer as well as builder but being an engineer and haveing some time on my hands the odds are not totally against me,

Thanks again

John