Two batteries in a plane?

can i also throw a british manufacturer in the frame please SM services i have been using their battery backer for some years now and its always been good, it does not look as good as the powerbox but for 20 quid what do you want !! it takes 2 6 volt packs regulates to 5 volts and if one pack voltage falls it switches to the other

Posted by Augusto on 11/10/2010 11:36:48:
Hi all,

very good stuff in here, I for myself use Sir Mick Reeves system :

http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/~mickreev/mickscha.htm
 ( see at Bateries)

it's easy, simple and works ... and Mick is a champion!

I'm with you and Mick Reeves on this one (see post 7/10) but with one reservation - I'm not comfortable with Mick's assertion that it's OK to use different cell counts. This could lead to charging from one pack to the other with a possibility of cell damage if overcharging results. Despite various opinions on the thread I still prefer to introduce redundancy instead of increasing potential failure points with "blingy" electronics.

not much use the mick reeves way if you wish to use lipos the powerbox and the sm services regulate to 5 volts and the sm services only uses 1 battery at a time if that fails it switches to the other and so the failure rate is the same as micks system i use 6 volt packs and the fact the unit regs this to 5 volts stops the jr servos from throwing their toys outta the pram 

I can't say that I've any confidence in NiMHs having seen several fail including a couple of my own which have not lasted despite being "branded" names and not abused. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that any of these power boxes or regulators are particularly likely to fail but my philosophy is to reduce single points of failure wherever possible and keep things as simple as possible.