Cyril Carr Kestrel autogyro

David perry 1

Well Ive spent the afternoon cutting out the parts for a Kestrel gyro.  Ive decided to electrify this one, using the motor and ESC from a deceased PZ Me 109 I have lying around.  Well, my son does, but he aint here, tee hee.

I also have quite a few proper helicopter blades and might try to utilise these, we'll see.

David 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...

I built one of these quite a few years back when it appeared in the magazine (as did a clubmate) and it flew very well - as long as it wasn't shedding blades. Did anyone else have problems with them? I tried various grades of balsa but never really cured the problem - although I do have some "proper" gyro blade stock which I bought to try and never got around to.

Autogyro

It was quite amusing to see the blades stop in flight though...at sufficient airspeed, mine would come to a halt and the model would be flying on the tiny stub wings that support the blade hubs!

IIRC, the main requirement of the C of G was that the nose should drop if the model was supported from the blade hubs.

I built one earlier this year, electric setup.

Fly's well, and is certainly different in the air.

The cg on mine is just behind the rotor masts, slight nose down attitude.

Needs a touch of power on the flair just before contact to halt the rate of descent...

It's fun..

Fats