Fail safe

Old John B

Have the 6Ex version of the FASST about 6months old and twice now in the last two outings it has gone into fail safe mode. Batteries are fully charged and the aerials at right angles to one another and all checks out normally in fact my friend walked a long way away and it worked OK. I don' t want the hastle of sending it back so if anyone else has had this and discovered why it is happening I would be glad to know
JB  

Advert

Is the rx anywhere near carbon in the fuz ?  Are the two wires apart from each other, not crossing each other then going to 90 degrees ?  Have you over wrapped the rx, (they don't like that) ?

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 22/10/2010 20:59:11

Sorry if some of this seems a bit basic but you have to start somewhere!

1.Remember, its only the last bare couple of millimetres of the aerial that matters. I have seen folks carefully ensure that 90% of their aerial length is neatly at right angles - only to leave the all important last 5mm do what ever it wanted!

2. When your friend range checked the model are you sure he switched on the Tx in low power mode?

3. Did you do the range check from at least 4 different directions - sort of north, south, east and west.

4. Was the engine running when you range checked? (Make sure the model is well restrained if you do this!)

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother on 22/10/2010 21:55:54

Thanks fellows there is plenty to check here. I asked my friend to check that it was on low power but I have a feeling now that after the first 60 seconds when it goes off he didnt put it on low power again. . Anyway its going to rain tomorrow down here, so will do a very careful check and will keep you posted on what has happened  next week after I have been flying. Just had a thought, suppose the position of the transmitter aerial might have had something to do with it, honestly cant remember where it was. When you get to 79 the memory goes.That's my excuse anyway!!! 
JB

I had the situation recently that on 4 flights out of 5 the engine shutdown on the first turn after takeoff at exactly the same spot. With the the aerial end on to the model.  I suspected that or  low battery failsafe ( on a 35 mhz 6EXA which has only low  battery failsafe )  but evenytually after substituting battery, Rx , switch etc I decided it must be a tank problem!  A model which had done hundreds of flight and never a hint of trouble.  I reckon the clunk tube had gone soft & stretched a little over time and was sucking itself onto the back of the tank at full throttle.  Slightly shortening the new clunk tubing cured the problem.
Worth checking all sorts of things.

Took all the advice and checked the receiver instalation etc., the fail safe setting and the tank. I had the aerial held in place with two tiny bits of "duck tape, silver. " they were over the coaxial part of the aerial. and have now secured them with a little bit of copydex. It didn't rain so went flying this morning and had four six to ten minute flights. No problems. I wonder if it was the "duck tape"?Once again thanks to you all.
JB