Radian Pro - your thoughts?

Noel,

The wiring of the loom doesn't do anything extra other than making the wing connections much, much easier. Each wing servo simply uses 3 of the pins in the MPX 6 pin males. The wiring after the MPX females then goes to conventional connectors that remain plugged in to the RX. The connections to the RX can then be configured to suit your programming requirements.

Programming the DX7 for the full monty isn't easy - but it can be done. (Refer to PeeWhit's excellent posts on the programming for his Typhoon mouldie on this forum). Obviously, the Rad Pro additionally needs motor control - but I'd just stick it on a switch (gear or AUX2).

I changed the prop to a Multiplex #733187 11x8. These blades have a root thickness that fits the standard spinner with a 0.5mm shim and only need the blade bolt hole drilling out - far better than hacking an Aeronaut/Graupner set about. It climbs like a rocket with this prop - at full chat still only drawing current well below the spec of the ESC.

Ro.

Edited By RGPuk on 11/04/2011 20:24:36

Edited By RGPuk on 11/04/2011 20:27:36

• 9 months later...
Advert

Hey guys,

Took my newly acquired Radion pro out today for its maiden today,and had one hell of an issue. I was trying to descend quickly ,and as i did so i lost all aileron response and my elevator seemed ineffective, tho it helped a bit at this point i was going like lightning and i managed to recover using rudder to turn to get the wings level. at the minute my crow braking needs work on the mixing. Has anyone had this issue ,or is there a reason for it.

Thanks

Thomas Barwick

Edited By Thomas Barwick on 15/01/2012 16:02:43

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 18/01/2012 08:36:22

Hi Thomas,

Personally, I haven't had any problems with my Radian Pro, and I have given it a fair bit of stick. Overall I think they are very good models.

I have noticed how flexible it is however, and when you pick up speed the whole thing appears to "wobble" (to give it it's technical term).

There is a thread over on the RCFM forum titled 'Radian pro is dust' that appears to be the result of a very similar problem to what you have described. I think they concluded that the flex in the airframe can contribute to some reduction in control. I think slowing it down in a dive using the crow brakes is probably the way to go.

Chris

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 18/01/2012 08:36:42

• 2 weeks later...
Just flown the mighty radian for a few minutes.

Bit of a wallowy, wobbly old hector but once I had it trimmed out a bit it seemed to fly okay. Certainly not one I would want to put a 500ft dive. Actually loops okay if you are not going too fast. Roll rate pretty none existent, but haven't done anything with the throws.

I am using the stock prop at the moment with a 1300mah 3s lipo. Climb rate not exactly brilliant but enough to do a bit of thermal hunting.

Like all products we buy, you have to look at what it is and what it is intended to do at a price point.

First, its foam so it will be flexy. And it is a TD sailplane so high speed dives are not part of the plan. You might even be getting surface blow back at high speeds. The servo may be holding but the foam may be flexing. I would not intentionally put a RP or a Radian into a high speed intentionally.

Climb - it is not set up as a contest e-glider so it is going to be under powerd for that purpose, but it seems some quick prop changes work without over stressing the motor too much. And a higher C rated battery helps to. The stock battery is just adequate to the stock set-up.

As I see it, the purpose of this glider is to extend Parkzones line from airplanes into entry level gliders. Bring the small electric airplane pilot into an area of flying that he has not tried before.

The original Radian was a success because it did not try to be more than that. The Pro is pushing the envelope of what you can really do with a raw foam glider. But it works. however I would not say it is a great sailplane, just adequate. But that may be all that is needed to get some of the electric pilots into soaring.

Not defending or promoting this glider, just trying to put it in its proper perspective.

Ed,

You're right I think. I wasn't attacking the Radian though, if that's what you thought.
I bought it as a low cost model to practice thermal soaring with. I agree that it probably isn't a brilliant sailplane per se, but it flies fine, I think.

As you say you have to accept the limitation of the performance in the context of the price. It's certainly not an expensive model. I am pretty happy with it for a first flight. It does what I wanted and flies pretty much as expected.

Cheers
T

• 7 months later...

I agree about the rigging, it really is a pain when you have servo extension leads but after removing quite a bit of foam there is now enough room for leads and receiver in the same space.

I haven't seen too many comments about its ability to stay aloft. Maybe I've been flying in the wrong conditions or maybe I'm just no good at thermalling but basically my Pro goes up with the motor and then glides back down again. It will only maintain height by further use of the motor which doesn't seem to be the point really....

Hi Nick

I've had some good flights with it. I've "specked it out" before in a strong thermal. To me the problem with the radian is that it seems way out of trim each time I fly it. I think it must be the flexible nature of the foam or whatever, but it is flying great one day then the next it's all over the place. I think it indicates lift okay if you can get it flying level.

I haven't flown it for a while, for that that reason. I think what I will do is take it back to the workshop and lay on some carbon tows down the fuselage and do a few other tweaks to stiffen it up. i've had other models on the bench so haven't had time to fettle it.

I think Ed (above) describes it eloquently as "adqueate". That's all I need - a practice model. In fact I don't want it to be too good. I think if you can get it flying well it's a good learning tool.  The fact is thermal soaring can be quite difficult.

Interesting vid here:

Tom

Edited By Tom Satinet on 24/09/2012 10:31:01