Magnattila 11

Advert

When I built my Magnatilla I fitted an OS 40 LA ,so loads of room.I watched 1 today with an OS 52 4 stroke in it and it flies superbly,good choice.I remember the Bulkhead being quite substantial when I built mine.I also used a second cowl to give more room when I built mine,everything fitted better.I did see one without the extension and the engine poked right out of the cowl.Maybe this is how you could gain extra space

hello david....all them year's ago i had a mag......and fitted a saito 40 4st......i had the same prob as you describe........what i did then was cut a large hole in the former (F1)to accomodate the rear carb etc.......and then between F1 and F2... i reinforced it with some ply....hope that comes over ok........so i left the former's as they were....but removed enough wood to fit the 4st.......and 'beefed up between the two former's.....it'll be ok-as the mag's are over engineered at the front anyway.......i flew mine for 18 month's +....

ken anderson  ne...1.

easiest way is to mount he engine as normal, with a cutout in the bulkhead for the carb, to allow the engine to sit back as far as possible. You may have to cut a slot in the bulkhead for the needle valve, but the main strength is in the bearers, so this is not an issue.
Then measure the distance from the bulkhead to the rear of the prop driver and the length of the cowl. usually the cowl is to short by 1/4 to 1/2 inch.
Get some balsa sheet and make a thick and wide spacer  to get the cowl  the right distance,and fit this to the bulkhead and attach the cowl mounting blocks to this.
Then when you mount the cowl the prop will be the corrrrect distance from the front of the cowling.
Sand and flush the spacer with the fwd fuselage.
This also helps eliminate a lot of nose weight these planes normally need.
Do this to all my Flair models including the Hannibal and DR1 and no issues so far.
Hope this is understandable, and helps.

Darryl

My Maggy was made exactly as Darryl describes with no cut out in the bulkhead and the engine mounted on its side all enclosed within the cowl.  I had intended to scratch build a replacement Maggy but have been diverted to another project.  Maggy was in boot for today but it looks like rain stops play, which should let me get on with the other project

Hi Stephen, I do mean the front of the cowl theres a very small hole in the front. My Magnttilla 11 Is a revised version of the last one so maybe there cutting down to save money and leaving the hole for the builder to sort out.It's going to be a hard job to do so I think I'll take a leaf out of your book and try to get one with the hole already cut out I bet it's going to be difficult. 

Well I stupidly tried to fly too slowly yesterday, experimenting with flaps, and she dropped a wing and down she went.  Wing broken, some damage to fuz and cowl well bashed.  Now not going to replicate but to do a complete renovation with a new wing, new cowl and total recover, might even put new bearings in the OS.  Will keep all the advise above in mind when it comes to the cowl.

Had too many crashes recently and my fliers are diminishing so must get renovating. 

Stephen, I phoned up Sussex Model Center and told them about the cowl and there going to replace  it with one already cut out. I think the one they sent me was a Friday afternoon one.Thanks Stephen.

I'd like to thank everyone that tried to help me.It's good to know that you guys out there are willing to help.

Sorry for the late reply.
More pics of my Magnattila can be found in my photos.
The pattern on the cowl is made with a piece of those abrasive padds, glued to the end of a 10mm dowel, and then carefully making the pattern with a slow running drill.
The hole in the cowl, was made with tinn snips , making several cuts so not to destroy the cowl, then the last bit is done with a file.
I was afraid the ASP 70 engine was to big,   but you can always throttle down.
It balances with the battery behind the servoes, with no additional weight needed.
Allways nice to have some extra power.