Lesson learned (again) CA sensitivity - don't drop your guard!

leccyflyer

I can't generally use CA without such precautions as a mask, a fan, odourless CA etc, because of a long standing sensitivity to CA fumes.

Trouble is that I was up against it yesterday. I'd promised to do an aeromodelling session with the local scout troop and I've been away on business so all the preparation was a bit of a rush. One part of the pre-assembly is making up the wing seat for the chuck gliders that the scouts make and fly themselves. It's formed from two small 1cm lengths of triangular section balsa glued to a 25mm length of 3mm liteply.

I thought that since it was only a series of small drops of medium CA that I'd be okay. Should have known better than that.

60 drops later - 2 per wing seat - and my chest was tightening. Five hours later and my sinuses were blocked, my nose was streaming like a tap and I had a blinding headache. After a sleepless night, this morning dawned on a distinctly groggy head, completely blocked up and not very nice set of hasal passages and raspy lungs.

Never again - clear!
leccyflyer is invisible Send a private message to leccyflyer Find More Posts by leccyflyer   Edit/Delete Message

Advert

So THAT'S the cause of my my blocked up nose and continuous sniffles etc that I have have had for two weeks while I've been building my GWS EPO FW190 with Zacki (CA).

I did kind of suspect, it but assumed I had got a cold, but without the usual sore throat and feeling dreadful which a cold normally causes.  I knew that kicker was nasty stuff and only used that outside, but I shall only use CA in future when nothing else will do.

Thankfully the FW is pretty-well finished and I'll use hot-melt glue for the remaining bits!