How long to wait for products ?

what's the view of the masses ??   Maybe I am impatient but yet again I am waiting for a UK supplier to send one little box !

Sunday evening i ordered a new edf unit for my sabre, checkout done, 1st class post paid for & money taken by them.

Weds I sent a polite email asking if it was all ok & being sent

Weds evening I get an an email to say it's now "processing"

Thurs today, still nothing

In fairness most of the traders are pretty good but that's two on my blacklist now.

I know I'm impatient, but why should i pay nearly £3 for a few grams by 1st class post & wait 4-5 days !

Most Ebay sellers, GC & HK knock these clowns into a cocked hat !

(Last week I got my jetiger from HK Germany in 4 days, & that included a weekend !!!) 

Advert

Not making excuses as we don't know which company it is (or where you are in the country); but Most web traders are pretty good; though some do it "part time" and given the weather I maybe tempted to cut them some slack.

Though £3 for a "few grams" sounds like an awful lot, even allowing for a jiffy bag. postage and a trip to the post office (If they don't collect)

I ordered a new SAS Fusion today and Alan let me know that whilst he was taking it to the post office this afternoon, nothing had moved from the Gatwick depot for a couple of days due to the snow.
Absolutely nothing he can do about that; but nice of him to let me know and set expectations. (There are some great traders out there... like Alan).
(Postage for an entire kit + some x-weave and vinyl tape was around a fiver! )

Hold in there; but like Tim Says, if its appropriate ... name and shame

Edited By Simon K 3 on 02/12/2010 17:25:55

Ta for moving Tim, sorry missed that section ;-(

I didn't want to start posting names as i have a feeling they run ads on here & it's possibly a glitch.

Simon,
We order products for our little business every day & this week have had RM, parcelforce, Nightfreight, Tuffnells & a few others, every one of which was on time.     One would think that sending a small box with an edf unit in would be pretty simple ??

It's not critical, life threatening & it won't send me to the grave but it does agitate me when it takes them until 4pm wednesday to send an email saying "processing"  !!      

I do appreciate that I'm not going to make or break them with my  little order, but like many on here, I spend a few quid on my models & in the past year GC have had a lot of repeat orders from me & i sig their praises because the stuff gets sent usually same day.

I was really asking if this was acceptable, or am I just being an old grouch LOL.

If it doesn't turn up here by the weekend I might have to edit my next post before Tim sees it    (and no doubt their name will slip into a reply !) 

hi john 3 days doesn't sound to bad considering l had to wait 3 weeks for an item l ordered from ripmax maybe you could ring said shop and check availability of the item you ordered as they might not actually have it on their shelf but online ordering will take your money anyway all that does is confirm the order at their  end
Sunday................ordered item
Monday.............. actioned  online orders
Tuesday ............. got enough orders for them to justify there postage from supplier
wed      ...............emailed you to say its been processed ,only now your item has been ordered and will be with you as soon as it is poss and looking at the weather might be a week  ,l don't work for this shop but l have been in retail and unless its on the shelf you cant have it ,unfortunately we all have to wait for things unless you go to them

cheers ...................................mark
what online shop was it anyway

I don't think that's good enough, Mark. If that's how the retailer you worked for conducted his business then I'm glad I probably didn't buy anything from them! 

If I walk into a shop and ask for something and they haven't got it, I have the choice of ordering it and waiting, or buying it elsewhere.

If I shop online, the retailer should have an order/stock control system which only takes the order if it is in stock - computer systems should be sophisticated enough for that nowadays.

Anything less is, IMHO, rather sharp practice...............

Pete

Hi John, I must admit when dealing with UK suppliers I always phone before ordering to make sure the goods are in stock. I then order on the net. All too often stuff is advertised but not in stock and there is not always an indication of this. Furthermore, I rarely order from suppliers that use Paypal or suchlike without ascertaining there is stock as yer money disappears straight away and you might wait weeks for back order goods.

The best suppliers for good practise are Just Engines who NEVER take money upfront unless goods are dispatched there and then. The other one is Weston UK as my experience of ordering 4 kits from them direct at various times is that the goods arrive within 2-3 days which I think is very good.   

Thanks for the replies chaps

I order quite a bit from the far east & sometimes it turns up in 7 days, sometimes 21, that I can accept because the prices are so low & we know the score with shipping, customs etc.

My "niggle" is that the website shows this on the main page:

All items are from stock in the UK so are normally shipped within 24 Hrs. Some items are made to order so may take slightly longer

Now I don't believe for one minute they make little edf units to order, the site shows it as stocked & as a customer we assume it will be processed & sent quickly (don't we ?).

My "work" is manufacturing & retailing blinds & we work on about a 10 day lead time which customers are told before ordering.  If there is a delay (fabrics out of stock etc) we call them to advise.    Obviously a different game completely as ours are all made to fit each particular window & not a box sent from stock.

Some of the ebay sellers retailing HK stuff are used by me from time to time & one in particular (nileinstall or sum such name) is absolutely 1st class.  Order at 2pm & chances are it will arrive the next morning.

The trouble with the webshops is that there's no feedback score & unless the Victor Meldrew types like me moan a bit, they can get away with it.

I guess i have Tim's blessing to name them, I have been 100% honest about the process so far:   edfjets.co.uk

hi Pete Ive looked at their"  terms and conditions"..................
.........orders  will be processed within 24hrs and if in stock will be posted the next day but can take up to 7 days which is pretty standard company policy so l guess you will have to sit on your hands until it turns up matey
cherrs .....................mark

Posted by Mark Wakeling on 02/12/2010 21:24:33:
hi Pete Ive looked at their"  terms and conditions"..................
.........orders  will be processed within 24hrs and if in stock will be posted the next day but can take up to 7 days which is pretty standard company policy so l guess you will have to sit on your hands until it turns up matey
cherrs .....................mark

The bold bit is my niggle with them.  Order placed sunday evening, email to say the order was "processed" Weds 4pm

Ignoring the time before 9am on monday, that makes it a bit more than 24 hours on my calculator

Had they processed & despatched Weds by 1st class, it would have been here today (as was another item bought weds & sent 1st class).   Oh well, let's see what happens tomorrow, if it doesn't turn up by the weekend i can't fly my sabre again  

I ordered something from Galaxy Models on 1st November.  4 Weeks later and a couple of phone calls (some not returned) later i still don't have my order. Its not their fault entirely as its a supplier issue. That i can accept as its not their fault (some might say they shouldn't advertise something if they haven't got that something in stock but thats not always possible),  Thing is they had my money at time of order and haven't once suggested they refund until its in stock which i think is a bit pants really. New delivery estimate mid December!!.Good job i'm not in a hurry.!
I've had 3 deliveries ordered and delivered from HK in the meantime. Sometimes its really hard to stay loyal to the UK. We do ourselves no favours.

Update on this one .....  

I got an email last weds to say it was being processed.

Yesterday I sent an email to them telling them I thought their service was pretty poor & got a reply as follows:

John,
Sorry for late reply ! Your fan has been despatched today , We have been unable to attend the warehouse for several days.
Julian Downham EDF Jets

Nothing in the post today again !  

In contrast I ordered from GC yesterday & it arrived today.   (even though the N/East had the snow pretty bad).

An order I placed with HK just 10 days ago arrived from the far east today

So they have been unable to attend the warehouse, but snet an email nearly a week ago to say it had been processed ??

I think their service is awful & am surprised they have a business -   i have had better service from ebayers working from a spare room !

I know i'm a moaning old fart but why state on the sites home page that they send within 24 hours & then take a week to do it ?    An email to say they had 5 feet of snow & couldn't get to work would have worked wonders !

Rant mode off    

Got it today 

But ...  it's the wrong one    I ordered a GWS 55 & the clowns sent a GWS 50, no good to me at all.

Completely fed up with them now & they can have it back, I'm certainly not waiting another 10 days.

Hi All,

As Tim  has said, there's a dedicated thread for these things, but after waiting seven weeks for spares from a very well known UK distributor. first the local model shop where I brought the model from, seven weeks and he's still having problems.

Web site 1 ordered and paid 30 November, after a number of emails going backwards and forwards, I rang today and the parts they have in Stock have finally been dispatched so I'm told.

Web site 2, Sunday, ordered the same spares what they have in stock arrived yesterday.

A mate of mine ordered a replacement motor in July I think, finally arrived beginning of November.

That's one big problem when buying RTF and ARTF, if you need spares your at the mercy of the distributors who don't seem to care once you brought the model.

Chris.

I didn't know there was a dedicated thread ?   tim moved my OP into this section because i mistakenly posted it in chat or somewhere else daft, but I *thought* it was ok as a new thread ?

7 weeks !!!   That's just not playing marbles is it          I suppose it makes my 10 days & then the wrong part look a bit tame, but we place orders in good faith, hoping to get our toys repaired & surely if it's out of stock (after the websites saying it's in), then an email the next day would at least give us the option.

Good job they only supply parts to the hobby industry, they wouldn't last 5 minutes in the real world ! 

Hi John,

The spares from Web site 1 arrived yesterday, but the cowlings and motor shafts I ordered  are still out of stock and there is no idea when they will arrive from both web sites. After emailing the distributor, I'm told they have them in stock which is no good to me as I can't order direct.

As far as my LMS is concerned, there are some political issues with the distributor and they are not stocking any of their products in the foreseeable future. As I've brought two models and a full set of radio gear with spare receivers etc which are only imported by this particular distributor, I'm even more miffed as I can't even get servo's etc when I need them.

It's not just restricted to the hobby industry, I've just spent a sizable wedge on a new kitchen, and have a quality fitter that I know to fit it for me. I have spent a whole day this week running around to get the waste fittings I want because they only stock 40mm plastic waste and fittings in white, (I wanted black for the external) but 38mm Chrome sink waste which won't fit. Add to that I've ordered an extra  singe 300mm wall unit at £300 which can be delivered within 5 days. I also wanted some end panels which again can be delivered within 5 days. I would have thought this is OK, not, both delivered at the same time will take 3 weeks.

Customer care, what customer care !.

Chris.