Not all tissue paper is equal.

I am finishing a model, My LMS is a SDMS (that is, Some Distance Model Shop).

I am finishing with traditional dope and tissue paper finish.

I have shrinking dope and thinners, so that is OK.

However I have very little tissue paper that is "Modelspan".

A little way back, I spotted a packet of tissue paper in my local card shop. It was only £1. So I bought a packet as a speculative purchase. I have compared the thickness with the modelspan, both are 0.002". The big difference was in porosity, modelspan is very open, whilst the card shop stuff is less much less open, somewhat akin to the Japanese tissue of old.

Anyway I decided to use it today. My wife is out, her health has improved and I have got my workroom window open with the door firmly closed.

The bottom line, is that I cannot get it to stick that well, as it does not soak up a 50/50 dope thinners mixture, does not wet well enough to drape well. In short a failure.

I now need to purchase some modelspan or find an alternative that can be purchased locally. MY LMS is a +50 mile round trip. Spending £3 or so pounds in P/P seems out of proportion.

Any one with a workable solution?

Advert

Do you know if the bread shop tissue will work?

Your reference to Izal, is not far out, less shiny, not quite as closed surface.

Until you want to match modelspan, it is not obvious how open it actually is, I also guess it has had the fibres stretched also.

With the demise for many of the LMS, I guess that this sort of thing will come increasingly common.

Erfolg,

you will get a choice of tissues at   www.flitehook.net.,  There is also another "freeflight" model supplier but I dont recall name as I get all I need from John and Pauline who live quite close to me on the edge of Southampton

present or party tissue such as you  unsuccessfully tried is virtually opaque to dope - ie it will not penetrate.

I use it only for trim on top of doped model tissue and have to apply it by doping the surface of the trim and sticking it down.  Expedient only because of colour selection

John

Erfolg,

Flitehook do mail order - so distance no object - cannot remember last time I saw tissue in a model shop.

looks like I am also guilty of inserting links not according to protocol on this forum - apologies.

Cannot understand why this forum is so different from other model forums where inserting links and photos is simpler. 

John

Hi Erfolg.

Mike Woodhouse at freeflight supplies does some great tissues. Look under the LW Covering page (Light Weight I think it means) at freeflightsupplies.co.uk

Edited By Chris Bott on 07/12/2010 23:17:20

The 'shiney' sort of tissue doesn't go on well with dope as an adhesive. It does stick with tissue paste but the water in the paste can cause the tissue to shrink locally.

Many people use UHU glue stick to attach the tissue to open frames.

There is some helpful info Here

Bert

Posted by Erfolg on 08/12/2010 11:22:05:
I have looked at the site for Starspan and could not finf a price.

The prices are all listed at the starspan site  StarSpan price list , the site is totaly rubbish..... but the prices are correct, the site will be redone within a couple of weeks, hopefully with a stock control system added to show whats instock in the colours exactly , the lightweight grades we have loads of it made , the heavyweight , none at all ( maybe a few sheets here and there ) , the extra heavy tissue tex one , we have loads as well ,

The reason for lack of stock is we moved into this unit in 2005, the machine wouldnt fit so we made a load of stock before we moved and under estimated stock needed and ran out, we cant just order it in, as it cant be purchased anywhere we need to make more.... the licence for manufacture of the tissue had not been taken out on the new factory after we moved , we applied to defra to be able to make some more as it needs a licence for the mill and they wouldnt give us one,

This november we have now eventualy got permission to start  prodution again from january so we will make some more then....( unless its too cold) , then it will be made as soon as it warms up ( but thats no help if you need heavyweight tissue now )

Edited By StarLoc FiveStar Adhesives on 08/12/2010 15:19:04

The move to a new, hopefully better site, will be welcomed.

It is apparent that your product range is vast, yet virtually inaccessible.

I am not sure how many know you sell Aliphatic adhesive. From my experience not available in any DIY store.

There is also the range of laminating resins.

The range is almost endless including Cyno

How often is FiveStar Adhesives referred to by modellers?

Yep, go to the back of the class, must do better

I have eventually purchased my Tissue, whilst running my wife to an appointment.

Edited By Erfolg on 08/12/2010 15:27:27

There is a real irony here.

Fivestar were at the Harrogate show!

I was at the Harrogate show!

I bought a number of adhesive products from Fivestar!

If I knew about their "Covering Materials" I could have bought what I needed there.  In principal that is why I went, to buy my hard to get modelling things.

I know I am being critical, but I know little and effectively knew nothing about the Fivestar product range. This is particularly bad as their tables literally growned under the vast range of product. So many products I could not take in fully what was there and what I could usefully buy, given shelf life.

If there was ever a company that can benefit (in my opinion) from effective PR and product Promotion, in the modelling world, it has to be Fivestar. In many ways I do hope others will tell me I am wrong, and the rest of the  world knows about Fivestar.

Edited By Erfolg on 08/12/2010 16:07:40