Jpeg to DXF converter. That really is freeware?

Hi,
I am looking for a program to convert Jpeg or similar to DXF file suitable to load onto a cad program. ( Total Cad).

I have tried several supposedly free programs only to find that you can't save your image without buying the full program.
OK I can understand where the companies are coming from and I don't blame them for wanting cash for their hard work, but I am only dabbling with cad at the moment and don't want  the outlay.

many thanks
Richard.

Advert

Having used various CAD packages as well as photoshop a lot, I would be amazed that you can get one for free.

Even if it gave an accurate end result (which I doubt - see below), you would probably be better off importing the image file into your CAD software and tracing over it.

I'm sceptical because a jpeg is a raster image: a series of dots of colour tones placed next to each other in a grid to create an image.

CAD uses vector graphics, where points on a line are plotted and connected mathmatically, and values assigned to define width, colour etc.

Raster and vector are totally different, therefore, speaking as a professional designer, in my experience the results of the conversion are usually of a poor quality and fail to find edges or describe the image you want.

Hi LHF,

How do I import an image file into CAD? I thought the only way was to convert
your raster image into a vector image?

I am using Total Cad.  can't see any suffix in Photoshop that will be accepted by the Cad program.

I am new to Cad and determined to learn how to use it so any help would be gratefully accepted.
Richard.
PS love your avatar.

Hi,

I've not used Total Cad but would assume (going on my AutoCAD / Vectorworks / 3DS Max / SketchUP experience) that somewhere under the file menu is the option "import" which will allow you to select an image file and add it to the drawing space in the same way as you would a CAD object. You may have to predefine the point you want it to appear in terms of co-ordinates, but it should be moveable anyway.

In photoshop you can "save as" (also under the file menu) a photoshop .pdf which may be readable by and importable into total cad.

If not, I would suggest googling and downloading a free programme called "Cute PDF" which I have used to turn various CAD files into PDF's to work on in photoshop. It may be able to convert PDF's into DXF or DWG files.

Good luck!

I am not an expert, I have been using CorelDraw since 1990, at one time I did the design, layout and typesetting for a council printing dept. which was my only "commercial" use.

I would agree that the best way is to import your image and draw round it, the "trace" function does not give the required results for plan type work.

I have used Autocad quite a lot in the past, but must say that in recent years, I have found that CorelDraw is what I use for plane, model aircraft and buildings. The open office drawing programme is quite good for being free, as it is vector based.

I think your first move would be to be able to make good drawings of your plans, progressing to dedicated CAD software if the need arises. A case of taking one step at a time.  But please go by LHF comments on what I suggest, as I am only a casual user!

Hi Steve and LHF,

I have now tried converting an image to PDF.
Go into Total Cad and click open as there is  no import button.
I try to open the PDF file  a box appears on the screen "No filter matching this file." !
So I am still stuck.

I have looked at Cute PDF but it doesn't seem to convert to any other formats.

You are right Steve I can manually draw my aeroplane , but the whole point is I want to move on to CAD.
 I have somewhere Coral draw so that would be an alternative but I don't think that would be Vector based?
Richard.

HI Ton,
Have you actually converted an image and and put that image into a cad program?

When I tried it I believe it said it would insert a sample of the image and you had to buy the " pro" program before I could insert the complete image.
You can save the image within the program but that is the limit of what you can achieve unless I am doing something wrong!
I have also tried:
Vector Now
Solid works E-Drawing.
AVSImage converter
and of course  Wintopo.

They all want payment before you can insert your image into a Cad program.
It was Wintopo that spured me on to start this thread!

Regards
Richard.

hi all,
At last I have managed to import a drawing!  Using Wintopo I have saved the drawing as a PDF file and imported  it in total cad as an object.

I don't feel I am doing you all enough credit just saying many thanks. You all have given me the encouragement to to continue when at times I have felt like giving up.

So "Many thanks"  to all who have contributed to this topic  and a prosperous New Year. 

Richard.

• 1 year later...