Sipa 200 (June 2015 RCM&E)

Stephen Jones

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

• 7 months later...

Hi Stephen,

A friend of mine has just finished your build.

We test flew it with disasterious results.

Under power it rolled to the left on take off and went in.

Second go we used very little power and it rolled again when power was put on. In again.

All controls checked and ok.

Back In workshop for repair and with plenty of head Scratching.

HELP PLEASE.

Thanks John

Hi John,

Sorry to hear youre friend has had problems ,

Could be over powered ,

A few questions ,

What weight is it ,

How many watts are you pulling ,

Have you got two working rudders ,

If so have you used carbon tube over the connecting rod between the two rudders . If the connecting rod is not ridged the thrust from the motor will bend it, causing one of the rudders too pull inwards .

How big is you're prop ,

Was it a standing launch, Model needs air speed ,

Steve

Hi ,

I have had a read through the mag and although there is a picture of the connecting rod for the rudders on page 65 .

It does mention how they are connected . it seems to have been omited from the build notes .

So just to clarify here is a picture ,

Carbon rod for rudders

A carbon rod is needed to connect the two working rudders so that they stay inline with each other.

You will also need to anchor the snakes so that they do not bend under load.

I did not use two working rudders on the camouflage version and did not use working rudders on any other builds as i do not use them anyway.

There are lots of build pictures in my album not all have been used in this blog.

I still fly this model and love it , not because it is my own design or because it has been published ,

But because it flies so well and suites my style of flying ,In the past i have been worried about flying any model in windy conditions and so my flying skills have suffered as a consequence .

But this model loves windy conditions and when i fly it i forget how windy it is.

In fact i flew the Depron one last weekend ,

I have spoken to others that have built this model and all were surprised just how fast it is , So please do not over power it .

I built it to have a jet like performance and it does.

Steve

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Just updating for the latest Video of this silver Sipa S-200 as i had some nice sunny weather to fly in , windy but still you wouldn't`t know it.

My son had problems keeping track of it but bare with the video as i do slow it down enough for him.

Enjoy, I find it is crazy fast and new members of our club that had not seen this one fly before where also amazed at just how fast it is.
Flying my Guppy after this seem slow in comparison.
Steve