Sipa 200 (June 2015 RCM&E)

Stephen Jones

Hi fellow wood worms ,

I have started a build and Design project to keep me busy over the cold winter months . Not sure if anyone has built a radio controlled model of this type before and as i like the shape of the fuselage i thought id give it a go .

Its a two part project as i intend to build a small 24" model 1St as a gentle flyer for summer and a Larger 36" model for faster flying .

Here are some pictures of where i am at the moment .

The start of the small 24" model , the Fuselage 

A vac formed canopy would be nice .

Not so bad me thinks
A nice size hatch to gain access to radio gear .

I was going to put a small ducted fan in but now decided on a pusher 
prop instead . I may try a Ducted fan at a later stage . 

I have one more wing to build then its a case of getting it all together .

Advert

Hi Wolfie,

No this is not a Optica ,

I don't recall Mentioning  Sipa 200 before  . Other than in a thread called " wot is this iam building Where someone did suggest it might be a Optica .

And it would not be a Sipa 200 with a duct around it . Although you could also argue its not if it is prop driven . But for now will do ,
as i have seen many jet models prop driven that still look ok .

Hope this helps          http://www.machdiamonds.com/s200.html

Edited By Stephen Jones on 24/12/2010 16:28:01

Hi again ,

A few more pictures still the small model yet again .

The motor is small but fits nice , I chose this motor as i have a smiler set-up in two other models .
One is a converted Epp foam glider which flys very well on less than half power for approx 4 flights of about 7 minuets each .

and the outher model i have is a depron bird .

both set-ups use 4.3g servos 2off a small 35Mhz receiver and a 350mah 2s battery thats why i thoght id build this so light . 

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Dave ,
So what do you think how it looks just get it done , bear in mind this is only a small model and is being built to aid an insight on any modification that may be needed in the larger version .
And intended for summer flying where it could land in long soft grass . ?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 20/01/2011 20:43:12

• 3 weeks later...
Hi ,

Hopefully will be able to get a move on with the 2nd part of this build project now .
I have had my plan enlarged at the printers and made some minor changes to the wings as these will now be sheeted . Haven't made my mind up as to how best make up a battery box or if to fit under carriage fixed or retract .

Edited By Stephen Jones on 10/02/2011 00:55:32

Hi BalsaBasher ,

Well we haven`t had very good weather for test flying the Very small model and although the same but in different size the V-small model is built very light and is for more relaxed flying in calm summer weather , where as the small model is built for more ( hopefully ) fast and aerobatic flying ,
As the original plane was meant as a Jet aerobatic trainer .

That's why i have decided to go ahead with this build , Plus i could be waiting forever for the right conditions as i usually find i`am having to work when we do on occasion have any good weather

Wing skins cut and marked ready for tomorrow and belly of fuselage ready for planking .

Hopefully will have the wings built tomorrow along with the fuselage

Edited By Stephen Jones on 11/02/2011 00:38:57

• 1 month later...
Hi Guys ,

Sorry its been a month since my last post i have not given up on the project . However i do seem to have developed an allergy to either the balsa ,dust or super glue or all of them .
As i went to bed with coughing fits and breathing difficulty after my last post . i decided to stop modelling for a while . I then tried just a little more last week with the same result .
So it is with great regret i will not be doing any more modelling until the weather is fine enough for me to sit outside with a dust mask on . i am still coughing and have a layer of mucous lining the inside of my nose i dare not go any where near any dust for a while .

This is the little bit more that set me off again .

I have since looked at more photos of the Sipa 200 and come to the conclusion that the fuselage is not correct . Although it looks right in profile from the top , bottom and sides .
Closer in-specification shows a flatter bottom and sides on the fuselage , and the top of the rear wings where it meets the rear of the fuselage also is flat .
So i may alter the plan for a next build depending on how my health goes .

Really sorry to hear about your health Stephen, thats a real bummer. Its not fair when we can't do a thing we love.

I thought I had a similar thing last year, and bought a really good quality mask and filter. I wore it for a while, but it was just so uncomfortable.
It seems to have subsided now and I am back to my old self. But now I always have an overhead fan turning when I am gluing and I have learnt to hoover rather than blow the balsa dust off the work. Just those steps have let me get back to the bench. Take it steady for a while, and hopefully your tolerance will return.

Cheers
Danny